Grimpeurs des Wolds Cyclosportive - East Yorkshire Saturday 25th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Got my confirmation e-mail tonight, see Arch has got hers, anyone else entered yet?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I've had mine through as well. Doing the same distance as Arch.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm quite excited. I've never done one of these before. I feel proper sporty...

BTW, did anyone else notice in the terms, tri-bars are discouraged you have to be able to reach your 'breaks' easily....

zacklaws

Guru
After seeing that I am not now working Saturday (probably changed again by now) decided to do the 100k but also found out recently my "local" in Beverley has had a cycling club for the past 3 years which I did not know about and can now get up to 4 rides a week with them so I will be doing the ride with them.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Zack

sounds like a great local! :smile:

What time are you & your 'experienced' (as in the ride) drinking buds planning on setting off on the day?

Also have they got any good tips for the ride?

zacklaws

Guru
Not sure of timings yet as I have had my daughter staying with me for past 2 weeks so all my rides have been solo very early morning before she gets up and before we go out for the day so I have lost touch with what is happening. From what I understand they all started early last year, approx 0730, and were finished by dinnertime which is feasible on the 100k ride. Our target time is to do it in under 4 hours. My best time on the route is 4hrs 25min but I was not pushing it, just looking at it, it so I hope I can shave a lot of time off that and do under 4 hours.

For the past 2 weeks I have been doing just repetitive hill climbing, a 30 mile route and just half of the height that has to be climbed overall on the 100K and happilly doing it in 1hr 50mins so I may be able to do a sub 4hrs providing I do not tire much in the last 30 miles which has the worst climbs. But I have also managed to pile too much weight on and undone all my good work as well this fortnight, too many ice creams, cakes etc thanks to my daughter and finding the Cadburys shop at York was fatal too.

As for tips I have none apart from if you have a triple chain set it would be usefull if you are unfamiliar with the area and find hills difficult, or even a large 27 sprocket at the back. The steep hills I climb up at only about 4 - 5 miles an hour and the last one, just under a mile takes me just under 15 minutes. This hill at Nunburnholme is featured on all three rides as well and I understand a lot get off and walk up it.

My daughter went home today so now I am in serious training but quite limited when I get out due to work. Next weekend I am completly off work so I will get out with the lads again both days but I also want to squeeze a fast 100 in and also do the route again if I get chance.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

An early start sounds good I'll have to see if the others fancy it?

My planning has gone a bit too cock as well, apart from the complete lack of any hills (or time to get to them) I'd planned on communting on my mountain bike with panniers to increase fitness levels, however the weather forecast is very poor & I forgot I'm only woking 2 miles away tomorrow!

Oh well, hopefully see you on the ride or on circuit race on the friday?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
craigwend said:
An early start sounds good I'll have to see if the others fancy it?

My planning has gone a bit too cock as well, apart from the complete lack of any hills (or time to get to them) I'd planned on communting on my mountain bike with panniers to increase fitness levels, however the weather forecast is very poor & I forgot I'm only woking 2 miles away tomorrow!

Oh well, hopefully see you on the ride or on circuit race on the friday?

That would explain the different bike when I drove past you last week.

I was assuming we'd be given a start time. Arch and I are doing the shortest distance so do we all set off together or are there different starts for the different distances? I'm not at my best in a morning but could manage an early start if necessary.

ah, didn't know about this thread 'till just got pm from craigwend. well, i'm confirmed on the 100km. what's the score with the cyclechat team thing,(i left the cycle club part of the form blank) does it even matter if we are an official team or not if we're going to ride round together anyway?? as far as starting early goes, i don't really mind, not sure what we're gaining, but i'll go with the majority on that one.

cheers, velocidad.

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
That would explain the different bike when I drove past you last week.

I was assuming we'd be given a start time. Arch and I are doing the shortest distance so do we all set off together or are there different starts for the different distances? I'm not at my best in a morning but could manage an early start if necessary.

I've been asking this too....

I'd prefer not the crack of dawn, but I can cope with earlyish, whatever that is....

Should we also perhaps plan a rendezvous on the Friday? Someone with local knowledge could suggest a good place/time?

zacklaws

Guru
My whole weekend looks like going tits up again, probably working Friday and Saturday nights now, but will find out tomorrow night. Will still be doing the ride on Saturday though, but just a bit tired.

Arch

Married to Night Train
oh dear, I just looked at the route! All those contours!

:wacko:

Now, do I try a trial run this weekend, or is it better not to know what's coming.... I assume the course (the 60km) is clockwise, is that right?

And there is my name, on the list. Except it's not my bloody name, my name is not Susanne.:sad:

Why are people incapable of getting it right, even when it's written down for them?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Arch said:
oh dear, I just looked at the route! All those contours!

:wacko:

Now, do I try a trial run this weekend, or is it better not to know what's coming.... I assume the course (the 60km) is clockwise, is that right?

And there is my name, on the list. Except it's not my bloody name, my name is not Susanne.:sad:

Why are people incapable of getting it right, even when it's written down for them?

I'd rather it be a suprise on the day... My plan is to find a few hills this weekend to practice on but not do the actual course. I don't know which way round it goes though. I guess we could probably work it out from the elevation profile, but that sounds like a tedious job.

Top Bottom