Grimpeurs des Wolds Cyclosportive - East Yorkshire Saturday 25th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
I'd rather it be a suprise on the day... My plan is to find a few hills this weekend to practice on but not do the actual course. I don't know which way round it goes though. I guess we could probably work it out from the elevation profile, but that sounds like a tedious job.

Yeah, I don't want to put too much effort in...

I will get out and get some hill practice though.

Do we have any further info on the start time question?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Arch said:

Do we have any further info on the start time question?[/quote]

No, but I was talking to a colleague who's husband is doing it and she thinks we can choose our start time. We just get set off in batches. But then she also thought they might put the difference distances into batches so I'm none the wiser.:wacko: Have you had the details through in the post yet?

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123;802599][quote=Arch said:

Do we have any further info on the start time question?[/quote]

No, but I was talking to a colleague who's husband is doing it and she thinks we can choose our start time. We just get set off in batches. But then she also thought they might put the difference distances into batches so I'm none the wiser.:sad: Have you had the details through in the post yet?

No, I had the email, but nothing in the post yet.

I suppose they might try to prioritise the longer riders starting earlier, so as to give them more time (although with any significant hillage, I fear some of the 160km-ers might beat my time round the 60km!:wacko:)

zacklaws

Guru
I have done the 60k ride a few times now and there is only two major hills to worry yourself about, the first is a 12%, cannot remember the name of the place but it is not too long, maybe at Warter, the second at Nunburnholme is less steep but is just under a mile long and normally takes me 15 mins to creep up at about 4 - 5 miles an hour without stopping. Last year I was stopping about 3 - 4 times to get my wind on that one.

Helen the nearest steepest hill which resembles the above two hills and many other lesser ones, to Beverley is at South Newbald, Trundlegate, I have been out most days just going round and round on a circuit and constantly climbing it, but I seem not to be improving, just getting tireder

HelenD123

Legendary Member
zacklaws said:
I have done the 60k ride a few times now and there is only two major hills to worry yourself about, the first is a 12%, cannot remember the name of the place but it is not too long, maybe at Warter, the second at Nunburnholme is less steep but is just under a mile long and normally takes me 15 mins to creep up at about 4 - 5 miles an hour without stopping. Last year I was stopping about 3 - 4 times to get my wind on that one.

Helen the nearest steepest hill which resembles the above two hills and many other lesser ones, to Beverley is at South Newbald, Trundlegate, I have been out most days just going round and round on a circuit and constantly climbing it, but I seem not to be improving, just getting tireder

That sounds like less than I did in Scotland (and we didn't get into the major hills!) so I'm sure I'll be fine. By coincidence someone else recommended Trundlegate to me yesterday so I'll head over in that direction at the weekend.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
zacklaws said:

Ah 'Trundle Gate' my favourite downhill, (my max 46mph), never been up it though:ohmy:, i'd be lucky to go 4-6mph:blush:, Sat & Sun weather looks a bit rubbish as well.

I'm have just e-mailed the organisers to find out...

Hi

Could you tell me

a) Is there a choice of start times?

&

:evil: can riders of different distances start together?

thanks

craig

when I get a reply I'll post it.

zacklaws

Guru
Trundlegate is to the South side of South Newbald, it heads East then turns right slightly still climbing. At the bottom there is a street sign so you cannot miss it.

There is a nice little circuit there as the road heading South Eastish out of North Newbald is steep but not so bad as Trundlegate but longer if you do the circuit clockwise, otherwise done anti clockwise climbing Trundlegate it is a fast run into North Newbald and watch the speed sign flash up. Each circuit is about 3 - 4 miles. And after you have had enough and climbed Trundlegate for the last time just carry straight on at the cross roads, bottom right of map and it is virtually downhill all the way back to Beverley

From Beverley to South Newbald and two circuits of Trundlegate is approx 24 miles, Best way I have found to conserve energy is to head out of Beverley up York road, and take the first left through the golf course and just keep going and eventually you will hit North Newbald, coming in on the road to the North East of North Newbald at the top of the map

I should be out a good few times between now and Tuesday doing that run.

All the three routes on the 25th are ridden anticlockwise. I had a theory too after spending 8 weeks cycling in the Pennines that it would be easy when I got back home, but how wrong I was, it was still just as hard

Arch

Married to Night Train
zacklaws said:
All the three routes on the 25th are ridden anticlockwise.

Rats, I was hoping we'd get the hills over with in the first half - I suppose the other way we've had time to warm up...

I'm thinking I'll ride over to Market Weighton and back this weekend, and maybe loop about a bit in the area - it's about my nearest decent hills anyway!

Mind you, by the actual day, having ridden to Beverley with camping gear, I should be warmed up enough!

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Rats, I was hoping we'd get the hills over with in the first half - I suppose the other way we've had time to warm up...

I'm thinking I'll ride over to Market Weighton and back this weekend, and maybe loop about a bit in the area - it's about my nearest decent hills anyway!

Mind you, by the actual day, having ridden to Beverley with camping gear, I should be warmed up enough!

You could make a detour via Trundlegate loaded! It would make it seem easier on the Saturday...

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Thanks Z. North Newbald is one of my usual circuits but I've never ventured that little bit further south to South Newbald. I hope the weather isn't too bad on Saturday:sad:

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
craigwend said:
Ah 'Trundle Gate' my favourite downhill, (my max 46mph), never been up it though:ohmy:, i'd be lucky to go 4-6mph:blush:, Sat & Sun weather looks a bit rubbish as well.

I'm have just e-mailed the organisers to find out...

Hi

Could you tell me

a) Is there a choice of start times?

&

;) can riders of different distances start together?

thanks

craig

when I get a reply I'll post it.

ANSWER

Dear Craig

Thank you for your recent message

Final instructions will be issued tomorrow which will explain everything in
detail, but in answer to your questions
Entry is first come first served with the earliest times reserved for the
longer riders
You can start together if you go in the slower riders time band

Paul Kilvington
Event Organiser

Arch

Married to Night Train
Soltydog said:
That's us sorted then :laugh:

So, the race is on, not to beat your PB or anything like that, but to beat us round the shorter distance!:ohmy:

I will be very slow up hill, and I'm not brave at speed, so I won't be running away too much downhill either.... Expect me some time in August...:smile:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Arch said:
So, the race is on, not to beat your PB or anything like that, but to beat us round the shorter distance!:ohmy:

I will be very slow up hill, and I'm not brave at speed, so I won't be running away too much downhill either.... Expect me some time in August...:smile:

We're perfectly matched then! I'm off out tomorrow to practise going both up and down hill.

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
We're perfectly matched then! I'm off out tomorrow to practise going both up and down hill.

Hoorah, me too, if the monsoon has passed over. Or if I feel really hard core, even if the monsoon is still here.

Will you be on the Galaxy next weekend? The one advantage I might have is that the FCR rolls quite fast, on slick tyres. Your advantage I suspect, is a bit less personal weight to drag up the hills!;)

Top Bottom