Grimpeurs des Wolds Cyclosportive - East Yorkshire Saturday 25th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Hoorah, me too, if the monsoon has passed over. Or if I feel really hard core, even if the monsoon is still here.

Will you be on the Galaxy next weekend? The one advantage I might have is that the FCR rolls quite fast, on slick tyres. Your advantage I suspect, is a bit less personal weight to drag up the hills!;)

Yes, I'll be on the Galaxy. It rolls pretty well even fully loaded. In fact I freewheeled round half of the Amsterdam trip:biggrin:.

zacklaws

Guru
Helen and Sue, if your on your Galaxy or similar you should have nothing to fear about the hills, its just a case of lowest gear (if you need to go that low) and crank your way up. You'll probably overtake me up them straining on my lowest, 39 x 25 doing 4mph. Don't worry about your weight Sue, like myself its a bind going up hill but you gain going downwards so it balances itself out.

Another nice little route for hills is High Hunsley down to Welton, after you have finished with Trundlegate just head South. Its on one of my favourite route's and that piece of road is just rollercoaster with practically no flat pieces to get a respite. What I find good is all the hills are the same height and almost same steepness, so its a case of as fast as you can downhill and try to keep the momentum going up the other side, one after another. Too slow downhill and you get punished by having to crawl up them, and one in particular is very steep but short and looks daunting, but plenty of speed downhill before it and you coast up it.

Coming back from Welton same way though (which I have not done yet) is a long climb for a good distance, but not that steep. Usually I return by Melton, Skidby, Little Weighton, Walkington and Home, also quite hilly but some long straights. That circuit is around 30 miles.
All my efforts on Trundlegate must have paid off, as I manged to reduce my time for that route down from 2hrs 11mins to 1hr 45mins today. Kept off Trundlegate as I want all my energy for tomorrow when we go out to do 40 mile of the 100k route, and Sunday when it will be just a fast run out, and then Tuesday I will do the full 100K.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I've had the final details e-mailed through. It seems the 60km route can be started from 8.30 with registration and starts for the 100km allowed from 8am. Are you all happy to set off with me and Arch at 8.30 or do you want to aim for an earlier start? We get pie and chips at the end!

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I'm happy with a 8:30 start, I'm more looking forward to the massage at the end :wacko: 'first come first served' heck I'll be getting a gold medal with that kind of promise... (oh & the 'exciting veggie optionxx()

the times look 'doable' as well

Distance Gold* Silver Bronze

100 km 4 hours 4 hours 30 minutes Finish
*Average (km/h) 25.0 22.2 n/a

60 km 2.5 hours 3 hours Finish
*Average (km/h) 24 20 n/a

guaranteed a bronze then...:wacko:

8.30 sounds fine to me too. will we not need to be there well before that though, ya know to get signed in and all that??

even though i have the same information as everyone else, i still seem to be a couple of steps behind.....there are medals? :smile: maybe i should read the info again, usually i just wait for solty to tell me what to do and where to go :smile:

ah i see, got me sign in times and start times mixed up ;-)

hope to get out today for a ride. helen if ya keep seeing me while ya out today, it's because i'm lost again and i'll be just endlessly looping around and around, take pitty on me and point me in the right direction.....lol.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
We'll leave mappleton about 7 & should be there in good time :smile:

I think the Bronze, Silver & Gold are just awards & not actual medals awarded :smile: but i could be wrong, in fact I usually am :biggrin: I'm thinking the bronze is quite doable :sad:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Soltydog said:
We'll leave mappleton about 7 & should be there in good time ;)

I think the Bronze, Silver & Gold are just awards & not actual medals awarded :biggrin: but i could be wrong, in fact I usually am :biggrin: I'm thinking the bronze is quite doable :biggrin:

We can start later if you'd prefer. I only suggested 8.30 as someone had been keen to start really early.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Zack,

I saw you coming down Trundlegate. I made it to the top in one go:biggrin:. To be honest I didn't think it was any worse than the other road going out of North Newbald (the one past the old shop).

zacklaws

Guru
Yes it was me, just recognised you as we was about to pass, my plans had changed, only two of us today from "Royal Standard" so I was on another route taking me out to Brantingham and that area where I have never been before and discovered some more good hills, in fact I never knew I had climbed Brantingham hill today till I downloaded all my GPS info and saw that I was climbing it at 11 - 12mph yet it is similar to Trundlegate, which I climb at half that speed, but longer which really surprised me how easy I found it. Hills are strange things. Never been down Trundlegate the opposite way but after I have climbed it umpteen times I deserve to go down it at least once.

Its not so much worse, the other road is slightly not so steep, apart from a little section, but longer and saps you a bit more. But with that big smile you had I could see you did not have a problem with the hill. Now imagine that hill twice as long and thats more like Nunburnholme the last major hill to climb, 0.9 of a mile, but I doubt you will not have a problem with it as you'll just crank your way up steadilly, a lot do stop on it. The 12% at Warter should not bother you either, its shorter and steeper than Trundlegate, followed by a long straight fast descent. Problem with that one is you see the sign 12%, start to think this is easy, start to get confident, and then just round a bend out of sight.......well say no more.

Overall I did just under 39.51 today, 2hrs 34min, average speed of 15.30 and climbed 2080 feet overall, less than half of the total height on the day in the 100k, which hopefully still makes it look good for going for gold.

All I have to do now is get fit again for tomorrows ride and no idea again where it will take me. I hope my abstinence from alcohol and women, (well I can dream about the women) for a fortnight pays off next Saturday.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I climbed worse in Scotland fully loaded so as long as I choose the right gear and keep my legs going round I shouldn't have a problem with any of the hills next Saturday. I just need to learn to go downhill better. I think I actually hit my top speed of 23mph today on the flat:blush:.

only managed 30 miles today. got lost as always ;-) went over to beverley, on to walkington, skidby and home. no hills and i was still slow, not that i bother really when i'm on me own. probs have another pop out tomorrow. may well go to brantingham, i quite like climbing that hill, not sure if it is steep compared with others ( i don't come accross many hills) as i've got up it on my single speed and me little 2 speed brompton, so maybe it's not steep at all.

zacklaws

Guru
You should have no problem at all Helen with your gear range that you have, 39*27 or 30*23 is recommended, which you have and still lower gears to drop into when the body starts to weaken. Sue should be ok too if she has similar.
Maybe you don't really notice how hard hills are due to your low gearing. Trundlegate I spend half of it standing to pedal, the North Newbald one I only have to stand two or three times otherwise I can stay seated till I get to the top.

Lots of deep breathing before you get to the hills and in your head keep saying "Go hard or go home" as Armstrong would say to his team, and keep the pedals turning.

Top Bottom