Grimpeurs des Wolds Cyclosportive - East Yorkshire Saturday 25th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
Yes a very good performance by Arch, especially in unknown territory.

On the day I was very surprised whilst out on the route by the number of people who knew nothing about the actual route. It was a common occurrence going up hills or at the top during the earlier parts of the ride by riders who would say "that was a hard one", to which I would say "thats one of the easier ones" or something similar, most of the answers are unprintable, but usually it was on the lines of "your joking".

HelenD123

Guru
craigwend said:
Results are out!

Zacklaws & Arch are our gold :angry: performers

The rest of us (me, Solty, Velocidad & Helen D) bronzed it! :biggrin:

As Arch and I set off together and crossed the finish line together I suspect a slight error somewhere;). But she must win the prize for longest distance cycled this weekend.

zacklaws

Guru
I suspect something is wrong with the timings too looking at it now regarding your times. I suggest you email Paul the organiser and just explain there is a discrepancy.

I do not know what time it was that you actually set off, but if it was at least 15 minutes after me, I set off at 0828, we would have all finished together at the same time virtually, but that was not the case as both you and Arch were sat having your 4th or was it 5th helping in the canteen. Plus another girl tagged along with you so all three of you finished at the same time, then you have 2 witness's for when you actually finished.

Doubt your setting off time is wrong, but there could be a possibility and they have your finishing times all the same that would cause an error, but that would have meant in theory you would have set off well before us all, which once again did not happen.

Also the photo's took at the top of Nunburnholme, would have the time encypted into it to show you and Arch both riding together, maybe in the same shot.

HelenD123

Guru
I e-mailed Paul about it last night. We set off at 0832 and I recorded a ride time of 3 hours 9 mins so I think my time is right given our leisurely stop at the feedstation.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yes, I've emailed too....:biggrin: How very embarrasing, being promoted like that! If only....

Unless, of course, I have some sort of secret time bending device on my bike, to allow me to start and finish with someone, but still beat them by over an hour.... If I do, it's so secret, I don't know about it...

Anyway, a great weekend and a great event. (even if I did have to walk up Nunburnholme... Thanks Helen, for waiting!). I've done 55 miles back to day, and I think that makes my total since Friday about 188, with 100 of those carrying camping gear.... I'm quite pleased with that.

zacklaws

Guru
Nothing to be ashamed of walking up Nunburnholme, 12 months ago, I was stopping 3 to 4 times before I started climbing it without stopping, Sunday before the event, I walked from the bottom to the top as I was that tired from the previous days.

I know a few who have to stop on it, but looking back to last Saturday, I cannot recall seeing anyone stop on it but at the speed I go up it there is not much difference between stopped and moving, so some of the riders I spoke to may have been stopped and I presumed they were just slower than me as I passed. Think the only notable difference would be, stopped I'm leaning on my bike and moving I'm sitting on it.

Actually on the day I had a sudden spurt of energy halfway up and something said go for it, and I did, on my Garmin download it shows a little bump in the graph, it lasted for 25 seconds whereby I accelerated from 5mph to 6mph and my heart rate shot up corespondingly before I wilted again.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Zack did your garminthingy tell you the gradients of the hills?

I did see a 12% on one on the main road, but that was it, mind you probably better i did not know at the time (or understand gradients :wacko:) or it would have added to my parahillanoia

zacklaws

Guru
Yes it will tell me the gradient that I am going up if I set one or more of the displays to do so, but I have not really found it that useful, my body somehow manages to tell me better, when my head starts filling with swear words . But also because I have the course entered into the garmin, I can get a rolling profile of what's coming up so I can see beyond the top of the hill which is useful if you do not know the course.

The only thing my Garmin was useful for on the day was racing my virtual opponent based on my attempt at the course the week before when I failed by 14 minutes, so I knew if I could get at least 5 miles in front, I was in with a chance. My other cycle computer I just had set for a 4 hour forecast based on my current average speed which constantly kept telling me how far I would get in that time of 4 hours. In the earlier stages up to Middleton, I had a forecast of 130+k, but that's were the terrain alters and that figure began to drop alarmingly and at one point I would only manage 85k. After Nunburnholme if I recall it was only about 90k so I had a lot of work to do to achieve 102k and as there was so little time and course left, it crept up very slowly and only between Cherry Burton and Molescroft in the last 5k did I see that magical figure appear. But I was still unsure if I had done it.

One of the moments on the day when I nearly lost my cool with someone on the hills (the only time actually) was on a fast descent with a couple of shallow bends in it, followed by a short stiff climb at the bottom, the rider in front kept breaking till we hit the bottom of the hill and then cut me up, yet in front of us this hill was looming which you could see plain as day as it started to tower above us. I ended up at the bottom of the hill doing just 6mph, in the highest gear that I had as I was unable to change down due to breaking hard or else I would have run into the other rider in front, and then had to try and get going again. At one point I thought my chain was going to snap with all the cracking it was making as I tried to regain momentum and get down through the gears. I just could not believe that I had gone from 30mph to just 6mph, lost all my forward momentum and had to start climbing from almost standing still. I was gutted, I could have cruised half way up that hill before it started biting.

which model of garmin is this that gives such vast amounts of info? i reckon i'd waste a lot of time trying to figure out just what it was that it was trying to tell me ;)
think i'll stick with my 'in a world of my own' approach to cycling, just enjoying the scenery and hoping soltydog shouts turn at the appropriate places ;)

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
zacklaws said:
One of the moments on the day when I nearly lost my cool with someone on the hills (the only time actually) was on a fast descent with a couple of shallow bends in it, followed by a short stiff climb at the bottom, the rider in front kept breaking till we hit the bottom of the hill and then cut me up, yet in front of us this hill was looming which you could see plain as day as it started to tower above us. I ended up at the bottom of the hill doing just 6mph, in the highest gear that I had as I was unable to change down due to breaking hard or else I would have run into the other rider in front, and then had to try and get going again. At one point I thought my chain was going to snap with all the cracking it was making as I tried to regain momentum and get down through the gears. I just could not believe that I had gone from 30mph to just 6mph, lost all my forward momentum and had to start climbing from almost standing still. I was gutted, I could have cruised half way up that hill before it started biting.

Sounds like Hanging Grimston?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
velocidad said:
think i'll stick with my 'in a world of my own' approach to cycling, just enjoying the scenery and hoping soltydog shouts turn at the appropriate places ;)

Hopefully they'll make the yellow arrow signs bigger next year to save me shouting directions ;)

zacklaws

Guru
>>>Sounds like Hanging Grimston?<<<

That one's on the 160k route, this one in question is near Sledmere, just after "Life Hill", it may be called "Hanging Fall", looking at the map.

Comparing my previous attempt from the week before, I hit the bottom of the hill at 33mph compared to 6mph on Saturday, but I actually got up it quicker on Saturday by more than half a minute. I must have had the adrenaline flowing, as I climbed at 10mph as opposed to 6 -7mph

Top Bottom