Grimpeurs des Wolds Cyclosportive - East Yorkshire Saturday 25th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
What additional info are you after Sue? Did you not get the email with the final instructions last Friday? if not I can email them to you.

Arch

Married to Night Train
zacklaws said:
What additional info are you after Sue? Did you not get the email with the final instructions last Friday? if not I can email them to you.

No, I haven't had anything since the initial "You're registered" one...

I have checked I'm on the list of participants....

I'll Pm you my email, cheers...

zacklaws said:
Its now going through my mind that I may have a better chance of doing 4 hours on my old road bike, its better geared for uphill but a lot slower on the flat and downhill. Next month I will try it just to see.

Been through all my downloads of Sundays performance to see where I can gain time on Saturday but nothing really shows up, apart from try to get up hills faster, 2 mins a hill and that should do it, as there's seven of them, not counting the minor ones. Its annoying to see that now I have started working in metric that my average speed was 24kmh and 49.8% of my ride was well above the average speed, with 58 minutes spent at speeds above 38.9kmh, but sadly an hour doing a paltry 9.8kmh. Close but not close enough, as my old school teacher would put in my report, "Needs to try harder", "More effort needed", etc , so I will have to try and remember them words.

love a duck zack, ya spend more time analyzing ya riding than i do riding...lol :tongue:

HelenD123

Guru
Does anyone know whether the average time for the gold/silver/bronze includes stops. If it's a moving average I've half a chance of meeting the silver but if it's the total time to complete the course probably not.

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
Does anyone know whether the average time for the gold/silver/bronze includes stops. If it's a moving average I've half a chance of meeting the silver but if it's the total time to complete the course probably not.

I would imagine total time taken - they can't measure the time you're stopped (only maybe at the feed station). To get the rolling time only, they'd have to rely on your computer - some people may not have them, and anyway, they'd have to check its calibration and so on..

Bronze for me I think. I note they will have Red Bull at the feed station. I've never had Red Bull. Is half way round a sportive a suitable time to try it for the first time, do you reckon?:smile:

zacklaws

Guru
Think I have read somewhere that when you stop at a feed station, your time also is stopped with the chip that you are given at the start that you have to record your times with so it can be deducted from the overall time.

Nothing that special about Red Bull unless you drink lots, my first day I spent drinking vodka, Red Bulls, I never slept for about two days afterwards. Just be aware though that fizzy drinks are usually best avoided when riding.

Went for a short fast ride out today to see if I'm fit to ride and check my bike out after my fall and its all lights on green for Saturday. Still not thinking straight though, took me 5 mins to work out why the washing machine would not go this morning. Despite turning it on, checking the plugs etc I found out eventually I still had the door wide open.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Bronze for me I think. I note they will have Red Bull at the feed station. I've never had Red Bull. Is half way round a sportive a suitable time to try it for the first time, do you reckon?:smile:

I've tried it on a long ride & it seemed to have a +ve effect for about 5mins, then i felt worse than ever :biggrin: Maybe worth taking some & keeping for later :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Soltydog said:
I've tried it on a long ride & it seemed to have a +ve effect for about 5mins, then i felt worse than ever :tongue: Maybe worth taking some & keeping for later :smile:

Ah, I'll stick to water and juice if they have any....

I don't fancy hyping myself up so I can't sleep, it's hard enough when you're camping....

Well, I'm all packed ready to go tomorrow, so I'll see people in Beverley for the racing, or on Saturday. :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
Good luck to all today on your various rides. Hopefully I'll see you at some point, preferably at the start or finish, but if its out on the route and you think I'm a bit rude by not saying much or even anything, its because I've learnt this past two months that I find talking can be the difference between me struggling up a hill or struggling even harder if I have been talking prior to a hill as I gasp for breath. My policy these days is to breath deep at all times even on the flat to keep well oxygenated.

Anyway have a great day.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Hooray I got a bronze (time)!

Well not sure what my real time was?

However a 'ride time' of 4 hours & forty minutes, though a few stops here & there probably add up to 5 hours something amusing (having to drag andy (velocidad) away from the food stop - added seconds! (Even if he did want a poo)

Absolutely fantastic organisation and route, thigh & lung busting hills with beatiful yorkshire scenery. well sign posted, good venue, great day (& weather), good riding buddies andy & paul, not forgetting sue & helen our start & finish companions. Other riders friendly and generally fast:smile:

Nice t-shirt & bottle at the end with much appreciated good grub bolted down with enthusiasm by me:smile: :biggrin:

Looking forward to next year!

Ooh my aching body...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Fantastic event. My first sportive so didn't really know what to expect, but drinks & energy bars at the start, well stocked feed station (at least it was when we arrived :tongue:) & grub at the end as well as fantastic organization throughout the day. Too many hills though :biggrin: & 1 very brown trouser moment whilst decenting at approx 40mph & hitting a sharp right hand corner :ohmy:

Roll on next year :smile:

HelenD123

Guru
My first sportive too. What a fantastic day! I made it up Nunburnholme hill in one go:biggrin:. Whose idea was it to put the photographer at the top though... Thanks to Arch for the great company, and Jenny who joined us for the second half (if you're reading this). I can't wait for next year, but do I go for a faster time on the 60km or go up a distance??

zacklaws

Guru
Quite agree it was a very enjoyable day, I could quite catch the bug for that type of event. I know there's one near York (Ryedale) in August but fortunatly I'm working because I believe Its does have some steep hills and until I get my new bike with some lower gears, I know I would struggle badly.

As for next year Helen, I believe I mentioned that you had actually done the worst two hills on the 60k that are on the 100k and found no problem and you also have the stamina for 100+ miles, the other 5 hills are just longer with less gradient so it is possible that you could easily do the 100K and succeed. Even though I was screaming down hills at over 60kmh, it was only because I knew I would loose time on the hills creeping up at 7kmh at times. All you have to do with your lower gears is go up them faster than I can and then you do not have to achieve the high speeds downhill to make time up. If I was you I would give it a shot.

As the next ones 12 months away, it gives plenty of time to see what you can achieve realistically on the 100k and if its worth attempting, same as I did this year, with 3 practice runs on the whole course. I did not think I could do it in less than 4 hours but I managed to shave 14mins off my best time, so I was well pleased.

Perhaps we could do a Cyclechat ride at some point, just doing the 100k, or even the 160K which is more challenging.

Anyway as its over now I plan on doing it in reverse at some point so I can enjoy going down them hills instead of creeping up them.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Results are out!

Zacklaws & Arch are our gold :rolleyes: performers

The rest of us (me, Solty, Velocidad & Helen D) bronzed it! :biggrin:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
zacklaws said:
Perhaps we could do a Cyclechat ride at some point, just doing the 100k, or even the 160K which is more challenging.

I doubt I could do the ride again without the all you can eat buffet & free pie & chips at the end :biggrin:

Top Bottom