Grimpeurs des Wolds Cyclosportive - East Yorkshire Saturday 25th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

zacklaws

Guru
As all my plans went wrong again today, I decided on bringing Tuesday's plan forward and do the whole 100k route.

My time was a disapointing, 4hrs 14mins with an average of just under 24km/hr, 30mins longer than I planned on.. The route seems to be just a bit more than 100k, between 101 and 102k, 63 mile on my computers, I actually have being planning on 60 miles so that will account for some of the time deficit. Next week I will switch everything to metric and I may see a bit better if I am in front or behind on the timings

Nunburnholme hill which is my nemesis had me beat 30 miles before I got to it and knew I just would not get up it today, and sure enough I cracked after only about 100yds (my worst performance ever on that hill), rather than let the clock run, I just walked to the top at a speed of 2 - 3 mph which is just slightly slower than I can cycle it, 14 mins walking, 11 mins cycling, and after that I just could not make my time up. Wasted a lot of time though as I got a stone jammed in a cleat and could not clip up till I cleared it. To me "gold" will be won on Nunburnholme as after that there is not much left apart from a few small hills but a lot of long straights, so my plan will be to try and get to Nunburnholme with plenty of time in hand, just in case I have to walk again, well hopefully.

But in defence I have done a lot the past two days and during the week so I was tired before I set off and I could feel it in my legs, next week I will be rested from about Wednesday, maybe just a little ride after work on Thursday evening. Plus today it was very hot once you got into the country lanes and run out of fluids with about 15 miles to go so I struggled, I did not plan on using the feed station next weekend as I have never had a problem on this ride but next week I will.

The ride though is demanding if your not super fit, especially if you want to "go for gold" and I was totally shattered afterwards. Strangely enough after I got home and put "Tour De France" on, I actually started to feel sick looking at that mountain stage finish and the effort that must go into riding it.

HelenD123

Guru
zacklaws said:
The ride though is demanding if your not super fit, especially if you want to "go for gold" and I was totally shattered afterwards. Strangely enough after I got home and put "Tour De France" on, I actually started to feel sick looking at that mountain stage finish and the effort that must go into riding it.

I'm going for bronze:biggrin:. I think that's achievable;).

Maybe you're just overdoing it. Give yourself a good break before Saturday so that you're fresh.

so how steep is this hill you had to walk up then Z? you have me a tad concerned now.

did 27miles today. most of which was spent storm chasing around welton area. took me off road, mistake! clogged up to the point the wheels would not turn, had to wash me bike in welton pond. went onto brantingham, there is a sign at the top of the hill now sayin 11%. i don't have any real problems with this hill, but is this a steep hill??

zacklaws

Guru
Well I went to bed but I'm in too much pain so had to get up to do something.

If you go onto this site below and have a play around you can do some profiles and gradients, The hills easily findable, a few miles North of Market Weighton and look for a road heading roughly South out of Nunburnholme, it is marked Nunburnholme Hill. It seems to average about 9% but it seems far steeper than that:-

http://www.heywhatsthat.com/profiler.html

Not sure how accurate it is though, it shows Brantingham about 13%, but its only 3rd of a mile, the one in question is 0.8 - 0.9 of a mile.

My problem though stems down to my gearing. Anyway back to bed the deep heats kicking in and the pains going.

Just found that if you type the name of the hill it finds it, surprised me that, something working for once

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
We get pie and chips at the end!

Woo hoo!:biggrin:

Well, I went out on Saturday. York to Pocklinton, averaged 13.24 mph. Managed not to have to change down to the little ring. :thumbsdown: Just, on Warthill, but did it (yeah, that's the one I said was the hard one on our ride that time, the little bump...)

Pocklington to Market Weighton, averaged 12.61mph, still no little ring. :B) On the long slight downhill into MW, I did something unheard of. Changed UP to the top ring!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Market Weighton to York return, via Middleton on the Wolds. Discovered cause of speed and lack of little ringness on way out, when I rode the whole way home into a head wind:angry:. Some of it uphill, and some of it in a downpour....:blush: :thumbsup: Still, managed to stay off the little ring again, even up Warthill, when I was flagging a bit. :wacko: 66 miles total. Have to keep telling myself 60km is only 37 miles. Was tempted to try some of the hills for next week, but chickened out - I think I'd rather not know. If I have to walk, I have to walk...

How far is it back to Mappleton from Beverley? I'll have the camping gear for that bit... S'pose I ought to get the right OS map too - mine only goes to this side of Beverley.

Do we have a plan for meeting up on the Friday for the racing?

HelenD123

Guru
I only managed 18.8 miles:wacko:. I had to get back because my sister was visiting. But I did do the hill everyone was telling me about and it wasn't too bad.

HelenD123

Guru
It looks like the main event starts at 19.45 on Friday but there are some warm up races from 18.35. Would it be easiest to meet at the market cross in Saturday Market and then decide where we want to watch the race from? Say 19.30?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, I forgot, average speed coming back, 10.27 mph!:blush: There were times I was almost crawling along - you know when the wind makes flat or even slightly downhill seem like an endless uphill.

Helen if it's still ok for me to stay, I wouldn't mind leaving my stuff at yours first on Friday - I'm pm you...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
HelenD123 said:
It looks like the main event starts at 19.45 on Friday but there are some warm up races from 18.35. Would it be easiest to meet at the market cross in Saturday Market and then decide where we want to watch the race from? Say 19.30?

Sounds okay to me.
The Green Dragon is just across from the cross iirc :blush: Is Beverley one of those towns where drinking is banned on the streets? Will we be able to sit/stand outside a pub with a beverage?

Beverley to Mappleton is about 14 miles :thumbsup:

zacklaws

Guru
As far as I know drinking is banned in the town center, not too sure about Wednesday market though as I often see people sat out in the street's there around tables.

Its not banned outside my two local's though up at the North Bar but sadly all we would see is people on mountain bikes jumping the red lights by going on the foot path.

Arch

Married to Night Train
zacklaws said:
Its not banned outside my two local's though up at the North Bar but sadly all we would see is people on mountain bikes jumping the red lights by going on the foot path.

Don't knock it, I reckon that'll be in the 2012 Olympics in order to make sure the GB team sweep the cycling board....:biggrin:

I've got a Foska London Pride water bottle - you reckon I could get a crafty take-out in it?;)

zacklaws

Guru
>>>>I've got a Foska London Pride water bottle - you reckon I could get a crafty take-out in it?<<<<<

Thats a damm good idea, fill all your water bottles with "real" energy drink for once. And if you have problems riding and get stopped by the bill, just tell them you're suffering from "Wine flu", hopefully they will step away from you and tell you to get home to bed.

I've still no real plans for that night, I'm working till 1900, but still time to walk into Beverley to see the race, but I do not want to indulge in vast amount's of ale which is my usual Friday night thing as I do not want to undo all my training for the Saturday. One 2 hour ride tonight and maybe same or shorter on Thursday night, then its the big one.

Its now going through my mind that I may have a better chance of doing 4 hours on my old road bike, its better geared for uphill but a lot slower on the flat and downhill. Next month I will try it just to see.

Been through all my downloads of Sundays performance to see where I can gain time on Saturday but nothing really shows up, apart from try to get up hills faster, 2 mins a hill and that should do it, as there's seven of them, not counting the minor ones. Its annoying to see that now I have started working in metric that my average speed was 24kmh and 49.8% of my ride was well above the average speed, with 58 minutes spent at speeds above 38.9kmh, but sadly an hour doing a paltry 9.8kmh. Close but not close enough, as my old school teacher would put in my report, "Needs to try harder", "More effort needed", etc , so I will have to try and remember them words.

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
I've had the final details e-mailed through. It seems the 60km route can be started from 8.30 with registration and starts for the 100km allowed from 8am. Are you all happy to set off with me and Arch at 8.30 or do you want to aim for an earlier start? We get pie and chips at the end!

I haven't had any additional email, do you think I should chase it up?

Top Bottom