grind grind clunk Oh sh...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joebingo

Über Member
So, I was in a world of pain having just finished climbing highgate hill and decide it's about time and put the hammer down for the last mini hillock before descending the other side (the fun 35mph+ bit). So I drop a few cogs and then shift the chain onto the big chainring.

At least, that was the idea, instead, I shifted the chain in between the chainring and the front mech (somehow), bringing my pedals to an immediate stop and bending the front mech beyond recognition.

So, I've had my first proper mechanical failing on the bike, after 1500 miles (not bad considering I bought the bike from someone who hadn't changed a thing on it having ridden 6,000 miles including to Morocco and back). My question is can I even get an 8 speed Shimano front derailleur any more?

Apprehensive about using the MTB for a commute tomorrow, though I guess it's weight will be countered by it's 24 tooth chainring :wacko:.

Mark_Robson

As long as the front mech is compatible, ie shimano bottom pull etc then the 8 speed isn't an issue. If you have a triple chain ring then you need a front mech designed for a triple. But the important part is the double / triple chain rings and the orientation not the amount of cogs that you have on the rear cassette.

dondare

Über Member
I'd have thought that the front mech could be removed and the chain used on whichever ring gives the best alignment with the rear cogs.

OP
OP
joebingo

joebingo

Über Member
dondare said:
I'd have thought that the front mech could be removed and the chain used on whichever ring gives the best alignment with the rear cogs.

I'm sure it can, but I don't own a chain breaker, I've got another bike available to me and it'll probably be quite a good workout tbh. Also, I'm not particularly happy about the idea of being stuck in the big ring all the way - I am a bit of a pansy when it comes to hills.

Cheers for the info Mark, so I would be able to use any Shimano double front mech then. I was just wondering if using something designed for a slimmer chain would cause rubbing or anything. I suppose there's so much clearance on the front mech that it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway.

Mark_Robson

When you replace the front mech look for a Shimano 105 or above as you wont need to split the chain to get it on, because there is a screw holding the front and back of the shifting plate together. It shouldn't be an issue to cut the old mech off without splitting the chain.

I can't say for definite if there is any difference in width with a 8 speed or 10 speed mech but I an using a Shimano 105 5600 front mech with an 8 speed cassette on my Virtuoso and it needs less trimming than the 2300 front mech that it replaced.

joebingo said:
So, I've had my first proper mechanical failing on the bike, after 1500 miles (not bad considering I bought the bike from someone who hadn't changed a thing on it having ridden 6,000 miles including to Morocco and back). My question is can I even get an 8 speed Shimano front derailleur any more?
My sirrus has always had a rear 9sp dérailleur on a 8sp cassette so I guess that the limit screws only need to be adjusted properly and I would assume that that would be the same for the front.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
joebingo said:
I'm sure it can, but I don't own a chain breaker.

You could use this as a chance to add a chain-breaker to your tool kit;).
It is always a useful emergency tool. I take one when I go on rides with school pupils and have had to use it on a couple of occassions:becool:.

Tynan

Veteran
if he goes up Highgate Hill every day chain ring size might be a tricky one

Ashaman42

Über Member
joebingo said:
Cheers for the info Mark, so I would be able to use any Shimano double front mech then. I was just wondering if using something designed for a slimmer chain would cause rubbing or anything. I suppose there's so much clearance on the front mech that it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway.

Any front mech that is either top or bottom pull depending on what your current one is.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
First things first chain breakers are cheap and if you're going to be cycling for awhile it really is worth getting one. Second, front mechs come up on ebay all the time. You can get good old Shimanos (105, ultegra, 600) for five to ten squids that will work perfectly and last forever. Google to ensure they'll work with your setup.

OP
OP
joebingo

joebingo

Über Member
HLaB said:
My sirrus has always had a rear 9sp dérailleur on a 8sp cassette so I guess that the limit screws only need to be adjusted properly and I would assume that that would be the same for the front.

I had a closer inspection of the bike this morning and noticed that I've been running a 9 speed rear mech too, and it's never ever given me any jip.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll have a look on ebay for a 105/ultegra front mech when I get paid. I'll pick up a chain breaker too and have a go at installing it myself - I've been meaning to learn about gear maintenance anyway :biggrin:.

One more thing, I've got mega respect to people who commute on MTBs every day - I'm only half way through the week and my legs are already telling me it's Friday. I'm pretty proud of myself though, I'm still keeping up with the roadies on my commute (which probably explains the leg fatigue thing:laugh:).

Top Bottom