Gritters and punctures

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by ozboz, 4 Feb 2019.

1. ozboz

ozboz Über Member

My GF has had a lot of punctures lately , Marathon + tyres , I can only think it’s the grit used on the roads this time of year , it’s a real nuisance . anyone else had similar ?

2. I have just changed to Marathon plus tyres from GP4000s for the same reason.

Milzy likes this.
  3. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Around here they use salt which dissolves quite quickly and is unlikely to cause punctures.

Slick likes this.
  4. sleuthey

sleuthey Über Member

Purely based on gut reaction I cannot see the grit being the cause of the punctures

Truth, mustang1, Milzy and 4 others like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    ozboz

ozboz Über Member

Believe me the tyre treads are full of little grit shards ,

6. annedonnelly

annedonnelly Girl from the North Country

I find lots of little flints in the tread of my Marathon pluses - whether the road is gritted or not. I don't think any of them has caused a puncture.

I go over the tyres and flick out the flints & any other rubbish when I clean the bike. Just in case there's anything that's going to work it's way through into the tube.

7. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

The answer is to remove the tyres and boil them in hot water. It will give you the same protection against punctures as a flouro jacket does against blind drivers.

mustang1 and Apollonius like this.
  8. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

As others have said I'd be surprised if it was the grit, more than likely just having a bad run, how much pressure is she running?

Paulus likes this.
  9. Blue Hills

Blue Hills ^

This. If you regularly inspect/pick bits out if your tyres, punctures are very rare unless the tyres are worn out. I check my tyres before any ride of any length. When touring I check them every morning. I find that most punctures are caused by stuff working its way through over time.

burntoutbanger and annedonnelly like this.
  10. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

Yes, we believe you, but we also understand that cuts open up and close with wheel cycles and trap grit. It doesn't mean grit causes the puncture.

11. Nah, I’ve got a puncture proof set up on the bike I use the most at this time of the year. I ride through all the puddles and grit, broken headlight / tail light glass and washed out flints, and laugh at them. I still help if someone else succumbs to the P* fairy, but when I’m riding solo, I know I’m not getting a puncture, which saves a whole shed load of time at this time of the year.

12. OP
    OP
    ozboz

ozboz Über Member

I was in the belief that marathon + had protection , must be bad luck on her behalf,

13. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

They do more than less puncture resistant tyres but no pneumatic tyre is puncture proof. How worn are the tyres?

14. They do, however they aren’t 100 percent puncture proof.

Blue Hills likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    ozboz

ozboz Über Member

Two weeks since I put them on , oh well ,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice