Gritters and punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
My GF has had a lot of punctures lately , Marathon + tyres , I can only think it’s the grit used on the roads this time of year , it’s a real nuisance . anyone else had similar ?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have just changed to Marathon plus tyres from GP4000s for the same reason.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Believe me the tyre treads are full of little grit shards ,
I find lots of little flints in the tread of my Marathon pluses - whether the road is gritted or not. I don't think any of them has caused a puncture.

I go over the tyres and flick out the flints & any other rubbish when I clean the bike. Just in case there's anything that's going to work it's way through into the tube.

D

Deleted member 26715

As others have said I'd be surprised if it was the grit, more than likely just having a bad run, how much pressure is she running?

I find lots of little flints in the tread of my Marathon pluses - whether the road is gritted or not. I don't think any of them has caused a puncture.

I go over the tyres and flick out the flints & any other rubbish when I clean the bike. Just in case there's anything that's going to work it's way through into the tube.
This. If you regularly inspect/pick bits out if your tyres, punctures are very rare unless the tyres are worn out. I check my tyres before any ride of any length. When touring I check them every morning. I find that most punctures are caused by stuff working its way through over time.

Nah, I’ve got a puncture proof set up on the bike I use the most at this time of the year. I ride through all the puddles and grit, broken headlight / tail light glass and washed out flints, and laugh at them. I still help if someone else succumbs to the P* fairy, but when I’m riding solo, I know I’m not getting a puncture, which saves a whole shed load of time at this time of the year.

Top Bottom