Gritters and punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Two weeks since I put them on , oh well ,

Lots of punctures in two weeks? And on a M+?

Sounds like the issue could be the fitting.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My GF has had a lot of punctures lately , Marathon + tyres , I can only think it’s the grit used on the roads this time of year

I doubt it. I haven't had any Schwalbe tyre punctures whatsoever in a year, and I run Delta Cruiser+ & original Marathons, both of which are Level 5 protection not Level 6 as on M+.
I would be very surprised at getting multiple penetration punctures using M+ tyres. Far more likely is another cause, such as spoke damage or foreign objects inside the tyre carcass abrading a small hole through the tube.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
One day it was both , I fixed a couple but mainly an Lbs near her work .
We will have to see they’ve stopped gritting now ,
Just a bloody nuisance

Check skipdiver's post. Have you checked the tubes to see which side the holes were on? Ie, inside or outside? Have you identified where the hole, if any, was made in the tyre and extracted whatever caused it?

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I have done all the drills , she has been riding to work for years and had occasional punctures, this last few weeks have been a RRP, her company paid for the new M+ tyres to be fitted and still more flats , the only factor we can draw upon is the gritting , or, very bad luck, as no one else on here has had problems with road grit , then she must have upset the the puncture fairy ,

Tom B

Guru
How old are they? Have they ever been run flat?

I run marathon greenguards and I fine they're great up until the point they're not then they puncture for fun.

Have you checked the rim tape for a cheeky spoke?

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Done all the checks on both wheels and tyres ,I’m sure Lbs also did the same , it was me that recommended M+ in the first place having run them and Land cruisers , so was just wondering about gritters , I’m away again this week so the Lbs may be busy ! we will see , the gritting stopped now .

12boy

Guru
Run your fingers on the inside of the tire, paying extra attention to the area correspoding to the puncture. If sometthing is in the tire you can feel it. If the punctures are actually two holes next to each other, this can be caused by tire pressure being too low or possibly tearing the tube as you reinstall the tire. Sometimes your rim tape shifts and the bared spoke end going through the nipple can wear through the tire, as can bits of sharp rim you have made with steel tire levers used too enthusastically. I had a trip planned to Albuquerque NM, sometimes called the "goat head capital of the world". Goatheads are common in the US Southwest and are little thorns that work like caltrops, ideal for flats. My LBS filled my tubes with Stans Sealant and although I encountered many goatheads the tires didn't flat. Schwalbe marathons don't flat as easily as many other tires, so it may be one of the causes above.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Run your fingers on the inside of the tire, paying extra attention to the area correspoding to the puncture. If sometthing is in the tire you can feel it. If the punctures are actually two holes next to each other, this can be caused by tire pressure being too low or possibly tearing the tube as you reinstall the tire. Sometimes your rim tape shifts and the bared spoke end going through the nipple can wear through the tire, as can bits of sharp rim you have made with steel tire levers used too enthusastically. I had a trip planned to Albuquerque NM, sometimes called the "goat head capital of the world". Goatheads are common in the US Southwest and are little thorns that work like caltrops, ideal for flats. My LBS filled my tubes with Stans Sealant and although I encountered many goatheads the tires didn't flat. Schwalbe marathons don't flat as easily as many other tires, so it may be one of the causes above.

It's very kind of you to put such a long post up here, but as said ....I have been through all the drills checking tyres rim tapes etc , as of yet this week.no.problems and the gritting has stopped , coincidence? maybe, maybe just bad luck

Top Bottom