Gritty feel when pedalling-what could be the cause?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
About 3 weeks ago I noticed that while pedalling there was a kind of gritty feeling. When I say gritty, I basically mean not the usual smoothness with each rotation of the pedal cranks (If that is the correct term for the part that the pedals are attached to)?

My thoughts were that maybe grease was required inside the middle area between the two cranks - bottom bracket area? Or maybe a bit of adjustment is required, although I cannot feel any play. The pedals seem smooth enough.

The bike has done about 2600 miles.
20170829_161437.jpg
20170829_161437.jpg

Attachments

• 20170829_161355.jpg
    20170829_161355.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

lpretro1

Looking at your photo I think for starters you need to remove the cranks and clean them - not surprised it sounds gritty as it's well cacked up with oily gritty grunge. When you remove the cranks you can check the bottom bracket bearings for wear and if need be replace them. Check chain for wear too and check bearings in pedals

Will Spin

Über Member
Take the chain off the front chain rings and try just rotating the crank by moving the crank arm, if it still feels gritty, it's probably the bottom bracket bearing, if not as others have said the chain and sprockets need a good clean.

screenman

Legendary Member
So you've never looked at some of the bikes parked in Boston town centre?

Never often in town centre, but I stand by what I said I have seen many that were dry and rusty.

Widge

Baldy Go
The gritty feeling could well be due to the grit....?:wacko:.........other than that the chain (and/or cassette) may be due for inspection or replacement. 2600 miles is about par for the course, but if you have been running the chainset in that condition for any length of time then all bets are off.

w

As others have said, perhaps LESS rather than MORE lube is needed. Clean off thoroughly, lube chain with 1 drop per link of TF2 or similar, run it round the drivetrain then wipe off excess.

If the problem reoccurs then the bottom bracket could be on the way out, especially if it is like a "CRACK" noise as you pedal

But do the cleaning thing first...all that gunk attracts grit and wears sh|t out fast

screenman

Legendary Member
You have done well to make the drive chain last that many miles, maybe time for some money to change hands.

Top Bottom