Group Purchase for some REAL insanity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Falco Frank

Über Member
>
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/...l&utm_campaign=GT.TRIGGER.SA&utm_content=none
>

$_86.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I would, but I don't have time to ride it back from Inverness and for that reason I'm out!

Drago

Legendary Member
Its type approved road registered motor vehicle. Removing the engine and fitting pedals doesn't alter its lawful status as a motor vehicle. If its been scrapped and deregistered, then allowing it back in public is another offence. Have an accident in that and a seriously large can of worms gets opened.

Its no different from taking the engine out of a moped and pedalling everywhere, at least as far as the document requirements go.

So if you can get it through an MOT, tax it, have a licence and insurance, then you can take it out in public...hence all the weasel wording from the seller pretending he doesn't know its legal status.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Its type approved road registered motor vehicle. Removing the engine and fitting pedals doesn't alter its lawful status as a motor vehicle. If its been scrapped and deregistered, then allowing it back in public is another offence. Have an accident in that and a seriously large can of worms gets opened.

Its no different from taking the engine out of a moped and pedalling everywhere, at least as far as the document requirements go.

So if you can get it through an MOT, tax it, have a licence and insurance, then you can take it out in public...hence all the weasel wording from the seller pretending he doesn't know its legal status.
I suspect it would be exceedingly difficult to get a successful prosecution on those grounds Drago. The floor pan and all the componentry that make it an identifiable motor vehicle are gone. What you have there is a home made quad cycle with some body panels hung on it and any solicitor worth his salt would get that charge laughed out of court within 5 seconds!
On the other hand, I quite agree that other than a school engineering project or publicity stunt, using it in the real world would be dangerous and inadvisable. I am sure there will be relevant laws to force it off the road but not the ones related to motor vehicle use and registration.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think it would be difficult to argue to the court that the vehicle is not substantially intact. Its like these folk that chop cars in half to make trailers - I've put one of those through court successfully.

It looks like a duck, it quacks like a duck, it almost certainly is a small aquatic bird of the genus anatidae.

classic33

Leg End Member

Have you ever tried taking a quadricycle for an SVA(As it was known)? Tried twice, the second time under the instructions of the local DVLA office in Leeds.

They couldn't work out Why?

classic33

Leg End Member
I think it would be difficult to argue to the court that the vehicle is not substantially intact. Its like these folk that chop cars in half to make trailers - I've put one of those through court successfully.

It looks like a duck, it quacks like a duck, it almost certainly is a small aquatic bird of the genus anatidae.
Cygnet then!

This was built down here near Shoreham, the clip shows it around Shoreham beach. To all intense and purposes it's a 4 seater quadracycle.
It's not the first of it's kind down here , somebody converted a Trabant to pedal power in Brighton and rode it as a publicity stunt a few years ago.
Without a chassis / vin number and without an engine it's just a covered quad velo.

Later's Emma

Top Bottom