Group Purchase for some REAL insanity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Of course it has a chassis number. That the builder of the contraption may have removed it is neither here nor there, but it has a VIN allocated to it and taking an angle grinder to it doesn't suddenly make that void.

The test in court is whether the vehicle remains 'substantially intact'. It maintains its full silhouette as a Vauxhall Corsa C, and sufficient structure to maintain the cars extrenal shape and support every single external panel, so you'd have a hard time arguing to a court that it does not remain substantially intact. As aforementioned, I've run a successful prosecution for half a bodyshell turned into a trailer, so an entire complete bodyshell and monocoque will be a shoo-in.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not a motor car either.
dodo-car-1.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Of course it has a chassis number. That the builder of the contraption may have removed it is neither here nor there, but it has a VIN allocated to it and taking an angle grinder to it doesn't suddenly make that void.

The test in court is whether the vehicle remains 'substantially intact'. It maintains its full silhouette as a Vauxhall Corsa C, and sufficient structure to maintain the cars extrenal shape and support every single external panel, so you'd have a hard time arguing to a court that it does not remain substantially intact. As aforementioned, I've run a successful prosecution for half a bodyshell turned into a trailer, so an entire complete bodyshell and monocoque will be a shoo-in.
I'm interested to know what you prosecuted the user of this (presumably single axled) trailer for? The trailer should have been covered for third party damage by the insurance of the towing vehicle. There is no requirement to register or tax a trailer, even if it does resemble the partial outline of a car. I can only surmise that you went for axle loading, gross train weight (MAM?) or maybe exceeding the allowed unbraked trailer weight?
Please spill the beans because I would love to know how our esteemed gendarmarie uses their limited resources in such important cases!

Top Bottom