Groupset mixing, thoughts please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve-W

I've just bought an Emperor Sports built in 1998, it's built around a Veloce groupset.... its in need of a little tlc, I need to replace the front brake (bit of corrision) I was thinking of changing the brake calipers to Centuar Athena, or chorus, all of which look similar to the Veloce ones. But from what I see mixed group sets seem frowned upon. ....so, do I upgrade or just replace with new Veloce item?
I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Cheers

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I always ensure that I don't have a complete groupset on a bike.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I've just bought an Emperor Sports built in 1998, it's built around a Veloce groupset.... its in need of a little tlc, I need to replace the front brake (bit of corrision) I was thinking of changing the brake calipers to Centuar Athena, or chorus, all of which look similar to the Veloce ones. But from what I see mixed group sets seem frowned upon. ....so, do I upgrade or just replace with new Veloce item?
I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Cheers
Who cares what anyone else thinks , it's your bike so do what pleases you !

OP
OP
Steve-W

Steve-W

I'm old so stuck in the 70's, back then you put kit on your bike that was handed down, what you could afford or thought looked good :smile:
I'm old so stuck in the 70's, back then you put kit on your bike that was handed down, what you could afford or thought looked good :smile:
Yep me too, that's the way I've always done it. I suppose drive train with its matched indexing is a bit different, but I can't see that mixing anything else has any negative aesthetic effect.

Functionality is all, mix what you want. Might be different if doing a concours resto, otherwise, go for what you want .

winjim

Smash the cistern
New Veloce won't be the same as 1998 Veloce anyway, so then you're in the realm of hunting down matching second hand or NOS parts. Fine if that's what you're into but if you just want a working bike then I wouldn't worry aboit it.

lazyfatgit

All of my bikes have been mix and match until mid 2000's.

Some of that is down to cost. Some because of function eg cantilevers or bar end shifters. It was only when i spent up on an ultegra equipped orbea that it came with a complete groupset.

More important to have a functioning bike.

Top Bottom