Groupset mixing, thoughts please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Just had a quick look at my Sid Standard: Campag front rim on a Miche hub, Rigida rear rim on a Suntour hub and cassette, Shimano brakes, brake levers, pedals and front derailleur, Suntour rear derailleur, Stronglight headset and chainset, Simplex downtube shifters.
All dependent on what was in the spares box / York rally / bike jumbles, and it all works just fine together!

Frowned upon by who , do whatever pleases you its your bike , anyone else doesn't like it, feck em

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Depends what's important.... I'm always surprised when I notice (or "re-notice") my cranks are different colors.

Nope. Just nope. My pedaling form would go to pot, favouring one colour over another, because you see some colours are faster than others. You've got to fix this just for the sake of mankind.

I’ve got a sore knee just reading this. Off to lie down.

winjim

Smash the cistern
i have a slight suspicion the cranks are different lengths!

Anyway, who notices cranks? Save your horror for bikes with non-matching brifters (ugh, hate that word. I feel soiled. Mine do match, btw)
Groupset purists suck on this.
20151016_174415-jpg-jpg.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Groupset purists suck on this.
View attachment 430792

You've done that deliberately to wind done off us up.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My rule of thumb when looking at replacing parts with non-original ones on a vehicle is, "does it look in keeping with the era it was built"? Owners of all kinds of old machinery face the same dilemma; do you try to maintain it in a time-warp and not use it in case something breaks, or do you substitute later bits with care, so long as they don't stick out like a sore thumb?
I think a lot also depends on the state of originality at the point of acquisition. If something has already been mongrelised by multiple previous owners, you swapping one more thing isn't going to make any difference, whereas if something is still very original at the time of your acquisition then anything you do is going to be more significant..

Top Bottom