Groupset mixing, thoughts please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Nope. Just nope. My pedaling form would go to pot, favouring one colour over another, because you see some colours are faster than others.........

You look at your feet when pedaling? Really? Don't you get tired of waking up in Intensive Care?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You look at your feet when pedaling? Really? Don't you get tired of waking up in Intensive Care?

No looking. It’s the same ideology as canoes. Red ones are faster than green ones. Happens without even looking. Same will happen if cranks are different colours. No need to look, in my case my form would fall apart.

Same as when a tree falls in a forest. Does it make a sound? Or does it only make a sound if someone is listening?

Last edited:

woodbutcher

Veteran
No looking. It’s the same ideology as canoes. Red ones are faster than green ones. Happens without even looking. Same will happen if cranks are different colours. No need to look, in my case my form would fall apart.

Same as when a tree falls in a forest. Does it make a sound? Or does it only make a sound if someone is listening?
Interesting thought but it would be human arrogance to the n' th. degree to believe that. Sort of on a par with if l can't see it, feel it , smell it or touch it cant be there. "No one can hear you scream in space" but you are still screaming !

MikeG

Guru
......when a tree falls in a forest. Does it make a sound? Or does it only make a sound if someone is listening?

If a tree falls in a forest, it will be heard by millions of insects and many larger animals too. What's so special about humans that we get to determine whether something makes a sound or not?

I've just bought an Emperor Sports built in 1998, it's built around a Veloce groupset.... its in need of a little tlc, I need to replace the front brake (bit of corrision) I was thinking of changing the brake calipers to Centuar Athena, or chorus, all of which look similar to the Veloce ones. But from what I see mixed group sets seem frowned upon. ....so, do I upgrade or just replace with new Veloce item?
I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Cheers
I have some period correct bikes. Period correct with the different generations of different manufacturers parts that where available in the shops during the years that the bike frames had stuff hung on them. In the 70's and 80's young Britons built bikes that cost an arm and a leg from the stock of most expensive/raved about/shiniest parts available and hung them on a frame of their choosing.
Only the laziest/richest or least knowledgable bought complete bikes with a groupset, Italian in the 70's and in the 80's Shimano and Italian. Normal to see a bike with Shimano brakes, stem, post, levers and Campagnolo gears.

I hate the idea of mixing Campag with Shi**no. It makes me feel quite ill. However.. I've been having some fun assembling my touring bike which has a Suntour / Shimano / SRAM / Canecreek / Ritchey / Tektro / Stronglight / Syncros 'groupset'. Hoping to squeeze a bit of Campag on it somehow.

I hate the idea of mixing Campag with Shi**no. It makes me feel quite ill. However.. I've been having some fun assembling my touring bike which has a Suntour / Shimano / SRAM / Canecreek / Ritchey / Tektro / Stronglight / Syncros 'groupset'. Hoping to squeeze a bit of Campag on it somehow.
Reassembly starts on my favourite bike when a pallet delivery arrives in March. Gran Compe, Cinelli, Mavic, Campagnolo, Shimano, Paul, Spécialités TA. I don't give a monkeys if it plays nice. I've sold gear to people who do give a hoot and they pay well for their bike parts OCD.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Back in the 70's, on French bicycles, guys used to regularly replace the Simplex with Suntour when replacing or upgrading derailleurs. I've done the same, and have had good results on my G. LaPierre. Hella better than the old brittle Simplex.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Harry Quinn I bought last summer had a Campag Valentino* rear mech, a Shimano front mech, no-name hubs on steel rims and Mafac brakes. It's a good butted frame under all that, but the first owner must have said to Quinn's, "I want one of those but I'm only paying £100 for the complete bike".

* never heard of them? Steel, cheap and very, very nasty

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The Harry Quinn I bought last summer had a Campag Valentino* rear mech, a Shimano front mech, no-name hubs on steel rims and Mafac brakes. It's a good butted frame under all that, but the first owner must have said to Quinn's, "I want one of those but I'm only paying £100 for the complete bike".

Or possibly someone previously bought the bike secondhand with the kind of nice bits you'd expect to find on it, swapped all the expensive parts for el cheapo ones, then re-sold it - maybe for nearly as much as they paid for it?
After all, the frame is generally the longest-lasting part of a bike, crash damage aside. I've picked up a few (non-exotic)scrappers cheaply for spare parts, and one Raleigh deal included two spare hi-tensile frames that had already been mechanically cannibalised. It stands to reason you are more likely to encounter a high quality frame with a mish-mash of mediocre mechanicals, than you are a run of the mill frame fitted with a nice set of expensive bits.

midlife

Guru

Named after his son, mediocre but not cheap. Back in the 70's you could pick up superior Jap kit for less :smile:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

I ran across a Corso, as documented elsewhere in these pages, which was sold with a Campy Valentino front mech, but a Suntour rear derailleur.

Top Bottom