Groupset mixing, thoughts please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If I was doing a custom build from scratch on a tight budget, then after choosing the frame, the next thing I would think about would be the wheelset. The gear mechs would be right down at the bottom of the priority order, along with the seatpost. A lot of cyclists are really OCD about having matching small items, whereas the biggest potential weight savings are in the large components.

woodbutcher

Veteran
If I was doing a custom build from scratch on a tight budget, then after choosing the frame, the next thing I would think about would be the wheelset. The gear mechs would be right down at the bottom of the priority order, along with the seatpost. A lot of cyclists are really OCD about having matching small items, whereas the biggest potential weight savings are in the large components.
Im with you there Skipdiver John ! l am in the middle of doing a Vitus 979 build . So naturally l bought the frame and forks first. The wheel set was next and that threw up the first challenge. Obviously it had to fit a wheel space of 126mm and it came with a 7speed uniglide freewheel so l am trying (very cautiously ) to cannibalise it and fit it into a hyper glide body so to give more flexibility as far as the cassette goes.
I guess" Rome wasn't built in a day" and neither will this bike be !:smile:

I've just bought an Emperor Sports built in 1998, it's built around a Veloce groupset.... its in need of a little tlc, I need to replace the front brake (bit of corrision) I was thinking of changing the brake calipers to Centuar Athena, or chorus, all of which look similar to the Veloce ones. But from what I see mixed group sets seem frowned upon. ....so, do I upgrade or just replace with new Veloce item?
I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Cheers

By whom? Do you give a toss about what people like that think?

The pleasure of owning old bikes with old groupsets is the general interchangeability, within limits, of the stuff.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The pleasure of owning old bikes with old groupsets is the general interchangeability, within limits, of the stuff.

Agree with this, and it also means a manufacturer can't deliberately make your bike obsolete and force you to replace it prematurely with a new one, simply by stopping the spare parts supply. With old stuff, you can always get the bits from someone, or even cannibalise donors that might be of a different make & model. Most stuff will fit most bikes, even if it doesn't match!

Top Bottom