Groupsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Campagnolo goes:
  • Xenon 10sp (discontinued but still available)
  • Veloce 10sp
  • Athena 11sp
  • Centaur 10sp
  • Chorus 11sp
  • Record 11sp
  • Super Record 11sp
Athena, Record and Super Record are available as EPS (electronic shifting). Some of the 11sp groupsets are probably still available as 10sp.

For <£1000 you're looking at Xenon/Veloce

OP
OP
LSAF2011

LSAF2011

For £1,000 I don't think you can do better than this: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT6800/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-6800-road-bike

Ultegra is Shimano's second level groupset.

Thanks, thats the one I've been looking at, I've also been looking at http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/granfondo-gf02-tiagra-2014-road-bike-ec053875

The problem at the moment is that Planet X, fantastic retailer, charge £100 admin fees for the C2W and then would be the bike fit at an extra £150+ bits

I spoke with the peeps from Evans in Nottingham and they are going to start with the bike fits, probably not to the extent of Planet X tho

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, me thinks a road trip to Sheffield or Barnsley on Saturday, lol

WTF Planet X now put the price upto £1,999, give me strength

KneesUp

Guru
WTF Planet X now put the price upto £1,999, give me strength
£1,199.

I expect it will be reduced in September (all bikes seem to be reduced in September) and the savings will look larger as a percentage of £1,199. And if people want a new bike over summer and are happy to pay £200 more then I don't suppose Planet-X will mind.

I would hope that you could come to some sort of arrangement with them if you want to buy one soon, given that you were interested at £999.

KneesUp

Guru
Especially as the description still says:

"Partnering it with Ultegra 6800 for the same Cycle to Work defying price as ever, just puts it in a whole new category. "

OP
OP
LSAF2011

LSAF2011

£1,199.

I expect it will be reduced in September (all bikes seem to be reduced in September) and the savings will look larger as a percentage of £1,199. And if people want a new bike over summer and are happy to pay £200 more then I don't suppose Planet-X will mind.

I would hope that you could come to some sort of arrangement with them if you want to buy one soon, given that you were interested at £999.

Hope so, never had any problems ordering bits and bobs from them before

AndyRM

XOXO
The frame looks the same as the Ultegra version to me.

No first hand experience of SRAM stuff, Rival sits around the same level as Shimano's Tiagra so it'll be decent.

OP
OP
LSAF2011

LSAF2011

Just had a reply from Planet X "The price has risen due to material cost, we can no longer sell the bike at £999.99. At the new price it is still great value, we offer the pro carbon with a Sram Rival group set at £999.99"
Nice of them to get back, but if i was on the verge of sorting it all out that they'd honour the price, but hey ho

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
@Rooster1 - Shimano goes lower than Sora!

Shimano range goes...
Entry - Tourney - 7 speed
Then >2400 / Claris - 8 speed
Then > Sora - 9 speed
Then > Tiagra - 10 speed
Then > 105 - 10 speed
Then > Ultegra - 10/11 speed
Then > Dura Ace - 10/11 speed

I was aware of this factoid but I deliberately discriminated against the Claris and Tourney ranges.

The frame looks the same as the Ultegra version to me.

No first hand experience of SRAM stuff, Rival sits around the same level as Shimano's Tiagra so it'll be decent.

Used Sram Rival a few years back. It was on a hire bike in Northern Italy, certainly got put through its paces with lots of climbing and never missed a beat.
I also have sram (x9) on my MTB, have owned the bike since 2009 and it's never let me down yet.

Top Bottom