Groupsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cityfan247

i am a SRAM fan. Have the entry level Apex.
Love the double tap shifters and find shifting smooth and easy. No messing about with thumbs can shift from the hoods or bars easy.I wouldnt go back to Shimano (and i have never used Compag).
The only problem is that there's a lot less bikes with Sram compared to the others.
I would like a Carbon Sportive frame and fit it with Sram.Planet X do a RT58 carbon frame with Sram Rival £1200- looks interesting. Anyone have any thoughts on that bike. i have looked at Ribble , their new Carbon Sportive racing frame looks good, but they dont seem to offer Sram.

Sram have 4 set
Apex is the entry level but is maybe somewhere between Tiagra and 105
Rival is next =between 105-Ultegra
Force =between Ultegra to Dura Ace
Red = Dura Ace

winjim

Smash the cistern
Sram have 4 set
Apex is the entry level

Then shouldn't it be called Nadir? :wacko:

Reactions: srw

Cyclone1

As has been said SRAM Rival is at least comparable with Shimano 105, but much lighter. I have it on my Dolan, having previously used 105 on my Cube. Both excellent, but the Rival groupset IMO is better value for money. I also pondered the Planet X, but wanted something different at the £1k ish price mark so went Dolan L'Etape carbon instead. They are in Ormskirk, but even though I am in Nottm thought it worth the drive up there.

A good link for weight comparison - http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Component-Weights/cc-8.aspx

Cyclone1

i am a SRAM fan. Have the entry level Apex.
Love the double tap shifters and find shifting smooth and easy. No messing about with thumbs can shift from the hoods or bars easy.I wouldnt go back to Shimano (and i have never used Compag).
The only problem is that there's a lot less bikes with Sram compared to the others.
I would like a Carbon Sportive frame and fit it with Sram.Planet X do a RT58 carbon frame with Sram Rival £1200- looks interesting. Anyone have any thoughts on that bike. i have looked at Ribble , their new Carbon Sportive racing frame looks good, but they dont seem to offer Sram.

Sram have 4 set
Apex is the entry level but is maybe somewhere between Tiagra and 105
Rival is next =between 105-Ultegra
Force =between Ultegra to Dura Ace
Red = Dura Ace

I sound like a broken record:laugh: but you should also consider Dolan. I have SRAM Rival fitted to my L'Etape.

Jules

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
SRAM Force here but doubtful you will see anything with that on it for a grand. As a recent convert to SRAM road grp I actually quite like it, very slick.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
SRAM customer service and quality of the components is nothing less than dire and quality control is worse.
I have highest end SRAM products which have been recalled twice for the same things and 7 months later I am yet to receive the repaired components or an apology.
The company is simply horrible to deal.
I have had emails and tweets ignored, promised calls back and put on hold and hung up on.
Buyer Beware !!

mattobrien

Guru
Another SRAM convert here. I have got SRAM Red on my summer bike and it is a delight to use.

Ultimately I would like to equip my wet weather / winter / commuter bike with SRAM too as I prefer it to the Shimano systems I have used.

I haven't used Campag, so can't comment on them.

vickster

Legendary Member
SRAM for me too, but more because I can't get on with the Shimano hood shape if I want to be able to brake!

vickster

Legendary Member
Shimano range goes...
Entry - Sora
Then > Tiagra
Then > 105
Then > Ultegra
Then > Dura Ace

SRAM range, don't know
CAMPAG range, don't know.

Then you'll need to compare all. We need a COMPARETHEGROUPSET.com
SRAM in the OP's price range

Apex
Rival
Force
(Red)

For a grand, if going Shimano, you would be looking for 105 on an Alu bike (unless going Specialized, then you'd be lucky to get Tiagra), Tiagra/105 on a carbon, Ultegra if go for Planet X's deal

OP
OP
LSAF2011

LSAF2011

Thanks for all the input peeps, very knowledgeable bunch!

Well I went to Planet X today saw the SRAM Carbon Pro, ordered it in red (sexy), now just got to wait for the C2W certificate, eeeekkkkkk

Anyone ever had a C2W certificate refused, I mean I love the carbon elephant and everything but to get him to make my bike, lol

vickster

Legendary Member
You might want to check PX's policy on C2W voucher surcharge (and not every voucher can be used at every retailer, but presumably you've checked the validity)

http://www.planetx.co.uk/cycle-scheme

Yes, a 10-12.5% fee on top depending on which the scheme is, so at least £100 more to pay OOP if your voucher is for a grand

OP
OP
LSAF2011

LSAF2011

Already taken that into account, Vickster, but went seen fell in ;love with the Gloss Red, lol

Like I say, jus now hope I get the certificate

tudor_77

Über Member
@Rooster1 - Shimano goes lower than Sora!

Shimano range goes...
Entry - Tourney - 7 speed
Then >2400 / Claris - 8 speed
Then > Sora - 9 speed
Then > Tiagra - 10 speed
Then > 105 - 10 speed
Then > Ultegra - 10/11 speed
Then > Dura Ace - 10/11 speed

This!. There are two levels lower than Sora which is more like 'entry-level' (hate that term) mid ranger Groupset.

Top Bottom