G's got it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
What a terrible program.
Complete waste of 2 hours of telly time.
And btw is Clare Balding the worst presenter ever?

So you were glued start to finish then

vickster

Legendary Member
What a terrible program.
Complete waste of 2 hours of telly time.
And btw is Clare Balding the worst presenter ever?
Surely 2 hours of The Apprentice is worse...or an F1 Grand Prix (at least SPOTY is only inflicted once a year :whistle: )

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No it isn’t.
I’m no fan of Harry Kane, but winning the Golden Boot definitely entitles you to a place on the short list.
Six goals in a team that got knocked out in the semis and three of those came from the penalty spot? You're having a laugh, no way should he be ahead of the likes of Ronnie O'Sullivan or National Hunt jockey Richard Johnson who has dominated in one of the most dangerous sports on the planet.

Six goals in a team that got knocked out in the semis and three of those came from the penalty spot? You're having a laugh, no way should he be ahead of the likes of Ronnie O'Sullivan or National Hunt jockey Richard Johnson who has dominated in one of the most dangerous sports on the planet.

If they have a Parlour Game Personality Of The Year I'll vote for O'Sullivan.

OK, so (if it won't be obvious when you read this post ) I don't watch spectator sports and I have never watched SPOTY - and I am not to the manner born - but can someone explain to me why anyone cares about this? I've just skimmed the Wikipedia page and it leaves me no wiser. I get winning Le Tour, or any other event. It means you beat all the other competitors. I understand the Oscars, that's your peers saying you are the best. But a panel deciding "the sportsperson whose actions have most captured the UK public's imagination during 2018"? That seems a nonsense award. Which is fine, there are many nonsense awards, but this one seems important.

So, why do you care?

rualexander

Legendary Member
Must have been a thin year for sport with only 6 nominees, previous years have had 12 or more.

screenman

Legendary Member
OK, so (if it won't be obvious when you read this post ) I don't watch spectator sports and I have never watched SPOTY - and I am not to the manner born - but can someone explain to me why anyone cares about this? I've just skimmed the Wikipedia page and it leaves me no wiser. I get winning Le Tour, or any other event. It means you beat all the other competitors. I understand the Oscars, that's your peers saying you are the best. But a panel deciding "the sportsperson whose actions have most captured the UK public's imagination during 2018"? That seems a nonsense award. Which is fine, there are many nonsense awards, but this one seems important.

So, why do you care?

Was it not down to a public vote?

PaulB

Legendary Member

So, why do you care?
Because a cyclist won and deservedly so, that's why I care. Plus the reaction from the Daily Males of the Daily Heil! It's worth logging on to see their apoplexy that a 'foreigner' (Welshman) won from a sport 'no-one's interested in' and is awash with drugs.

Top Bottom