G's got it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
OK, so (if it won't be obvious when you read this post ) I don't watch spectator sports and I have never watched SPOTY - and I am not to the manner born - but can someone explain to me why anyone cares about this? I've just skimmed the Wikipedia page and it leaves me no wiser. I get winning Le Tour, or any other event. It means you beat all the other competitors. I understand the Oscars, that's your peers saying you are the best. But a panel deciding "the sportsperson whose actions have most captured the UK public's imagination during 2018"? That seems a nonsense award. Which is fine, there are many nonsense awards, but this one seems important.

So, why do you care?
It's a "celebration" of British sporting achievement dressed up as an awards show. I think it's of no particular importance, so do you, but it seems popular which is what matters

rualexander

Legendary Member
It was, It also used to be the public who nominated candidates. Johnny Rea coming second last year in a sport not broadcast by the BBC scared them

Wrong.
The shortlist has been selected by a panel for years.

MikeG

Guru
I was impressed with the young man who lost his legs in the motor racing accident he seemed to have more personality than the nominees.

This "personality" thing is a nonsense. So what? I don't care if sportsmen have personalities. Gooch was dull as ditchwater, but was a great opening batsman. Lester Piggot was thick, dull, and said virtually nothing, but could ride a winner in his sleep. Nigel Mansell sent the audience to sleep when interviewed, but was a brilliant driver. And on and on........... Forget their personalities, look at their performances. This should be the the Sports Person of the Year award, and the sooner people forget this personality side-show the better.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
James Anderson was my pic for the trophy.
He was on fire this year and his stats have been getting better and better with becoming the worlds most successful fast bowler in the process.
The only English bowler to have 500 wickets and 5th in the worlds most wicket takers, on target to climb even higher.
For the last 10 years of so he has regularly saved England's skin on the field with awesome displays of bowling.
IMO far more deserved the GT.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Do they get the BBC in Monaco?

G also lives in Monaco.

Top Bottom