GT85 Spray

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I use GT85 to polish and clean the bike I also use it to degrease my chain and then wiping before lubricating. I find if you cover the frame etc with it, dirt just wipes off easily with out getting the whole bucket and water out etc.

Same here.

As a weekend cyclist, chain life is neither here nor there to me, I just like the chain to look clean-ish and to run quietly.

400bhp

Guru
Same here.

As a weekend cyclist, chain life is neither here nor there to me, I just like the chain to look clean-ish and to run quietly.

Working on a very rough principle of 2000 miles per chain and £12 ish for a chain, i don't think it affects most of us.

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
Sorry to bring the subject up again but after reading your replies some of which say that GT85 is best as a water repellent and other types of oil as a lubricant

Would it be a good idea or a bad idea to use both on the chain at the same time GT85 as a water repellent and bike oil ass a lubricant ?

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
I use GT85 to clean the chain only, not to then lube.

To clean I simply place a cloth under the chain, spray GT85 onto the chain allowing the overspray to coat the cloth underneath, back pedal a complete revolution, then wrap the GT85 coated cloth around the chain, back pedaling again to work it all in, then repeat with a clean section of cloth to remove all the grime.

I then use a new clean section of cloth do the same thing but with Fenwick’s chain lube; many of us have our preferred chain lubes. Although advertised for dry conditions I find this is a great chain lube all year round, especially as I have a 'clean little and often regime', that way I have that lovely feeling of a smooth, clean and efficient transmission, but in short it will also last so much longer. After all a dirty chain not only feels awful, but acts like a grinding paste, reducing the life expectancy of my expensive chain, sprockets and chainrings. Note that little and often for me actually equates to quick and easy, as I am simply keeping the transmission clean as opposed to letting it get dirty, then spending an eternity getting it back to what it should be

Although I don't use GT85 as the chain 'lube' I do use it for keeping the pivots points on the brake calipers and derailleurs and jockey wheels clean and in good working order, the derailleurs when I clean my chain as described above. I also use GT85 for keeping my Titanium frames looking lovely, simply spray onto the 'clean' frame or cloth and wipe in, then buff off to leave a lovely shine as well as a protective coat.

Paul Smith

Last edited:
Top Bottom