Guardian Photo Essay on the Rough Stuff Fellowship cycling club.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Wonderful photo essay in todays Guardian on the Rough Stuff Fellowship.

"Often described as the world’s oldest off-road cycling club, the Rough-Stuff Fellowship (RSF) was founded in 1955 by a group of hardy cyclists from northern England who shunned smooth tarmac in favour of bumpy tracks, muddy bridleways and rugged hill passes. Their goal: to traverse “the rougher and less-beaten ways”

It's an amazing look through their photo archives and puts my gravel biking exploits to shame!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jun/13/break-the-cycle-britains-oldest-off-road-club

otek59

Well that puts any one who complains about their commute to shame

When I started riding more seriously in the 70's it was the RSF which inspired how. We travelled with OS maps and a stove, explored footpaths and forests, lanes and byways, we often didn't get that far but we had fun doing it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The book by Davie Bell title The Highwayman has quite a bit of rough stuff in the Scottish Borders.
I did the Lairg Ghru in the mid 1950’s with an ordinary road bike of the time. Had a bit of carrying but being young and daft never thought much about it at the time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Top Bottom