Guesswork question!

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Jezston, 19 May 2010.

1. Jezston

Jezston Über Member

Here's a weird question. Looking at this photo, and judging from the proportions, would you say if the bicycle looks like it would be suitable for a girl of 5'8" in height?

My friend's been given it, but by a friend of hers who is apparently only 5'3" or something, so she's not sure if it's the right size or not.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Tape measure will provide the best measure. With no info on wheel size or anything then its hard to tell by proportion, at least I couldnt tell!

3. OP
    OP
    Jezston

Jezston Über Member

I'll have to pass any instructions on the owner who knows nothing about bikes - what exactly do you measure to get the size of a bicycle?

4. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Measure from the centre of the bottom bracket spindle to the top of the seat tube (where the frame ends). That is the frame size.

5. OP
    OP
    Jezston

Jezston Über Member

Straight up vertically, or at the angle of the tubing?

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Along the tube.

7. Gerry Attrick

Along the length of the tube.

8. I've seen take diagrams which it to the middle of the top tube and vertically and the way you describe :biggrin: The former is difficult with open framed bikes :shy: my guess would be to the top of the seat stays ?

9. Gerry Attrick

True some makers refer to frame size dimensions to the centre of the tube, referred to as C-C, but in an open frame C-T (top) has more relevance.

10. jimboalee

jimboalee New Member

20 1/2" at a guess. ( 52 cm )...

11. Maggot

Maggot Guest

At a guess your taller friend will be too big for it. If the 5'3" rider has that much seatpost showing, then your taller friend will be having loads more out and it will be beyond the safety mark.

Obviously the caveat here is that as neither of them know anything about bikes it will probably have been bought at a whim from a car boot and set up wrongly.

Why don't you just go and help her get it right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice