Guided ride in the Nottinghamshire area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well done.

D

Deleted member 26715

Unfortunately not a member so can't join you

If you are a qualified ride leader, why's the ride only guided not led? I find that choice interesting.
“Guided rides” are set up by the qualified leaders( they used be known as Ride Locals under Sky), “Ride Socials” are for anyone to set up. The definition has become blurred somewhat, and confused. The difference is in the insurance liability for HSBC. A ‘level one’ guided ride ride leader is insured to take up to 8 riders, up to 40 miles, and the riders don’t have to have any liability insurance of their own. A ‘level 2’ guided ride leader can lead a group of 8 riders up to 100 miles ( a “challenge 40+“ ride ). Now here’s where it gets completely stupid. A ‘level 1’ leader can take as many riders as they like, as far as they like, if they set it up as a ‘ride social’. If the riders are B.C. ( or CTC etc. ) members, there is no difference in the ride, ( bar the fact that the creator doesn’t have to be first aid qualified) from a ‘Guided Ride’, other than you don’t have to be a ‘Ride Leader’ to set one up, if the ‘Ride Social creator’ is first aid qualified, there is absolutely no difference at all. The whole “I’M A LEVEL 2 RIDE LEADER DAMN IT, LEVEL 2 I TELL YOU” ( and there are plenty of shouty types who are like this, on the programme) thing, is completely irrelevant ( as long as the riders are members of one of the bodies that provides cover). HSBC really have made a massive pigs ear of the whole thing, in my opinion.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
“Guided rides” are set up by the qualified leaders( they used be known as Ride Locals under Sky), “Ride Socials” are for anyone to set up. The definition has become blurred somewhat, and confused. The difference is in the insurance liability for HSBC. A ‘level one’ guided ride ride leader is insured to take up to 8 riders, up to 40 miles, and the riders don’t have to have any liability insurance of their own. A ‘level 2’ guided ride leader can lead a group of 8 riders up to 100 miles ( a “challenge 40+“ ride ). Now here’s where it gets completely stupid. A ‘level 1’ leader can take as many riders as they like, as far as they like, if they set it up as a ‘ride social’. If the riders are B.C. ( or CTC etc. ) members, there is no difference in the ride, ( bar the fact that the creator doesn’t have to be first aid qualified) from a ‘Guided Ride’, other than you don’t have to be a ‘Ride Leader’ to set one up, if the ‘Ride Social creator’ is first aid qualified, there is absolutely no difference at all. The whole “I’M A LEVEL 2 RIDE LEADER DAMN IT, LEVEL 2 I TELL YOU” ( and there are plenty of shouty types who are like this, on the programme) thing, is completely irrelevant ( as long as the riders are members of one of the bodies that provides cover). HSBC really have made a massive pigs ear of the whole thing, in my opinion.
Well that's bonkers and a pig's ear indeed. "Guided rides" was already used for group rides that aren't led in a BC/CTC ride leader fashion. You know, none of that rotating, snaking or "clear" stuff: just agreeing a route and riding along normally in a loose convoy and waiting for each other at safe stopping points.

If HSBC hijacks "guided rides", what do we call the other sort? No- one's going to call them "ride socials" sorry and "social rides" is already something else in cycling clubs.

Well that's bonkers and a pig's ear indeed. "Guided rides" was already used for group rides that aren't led in a BC/CTC ride leader fashion. You know, none of that rotating, snaking or "clear" stuff: just agreeing a route and riding along normally in a loose convoy and waiting for each other at safe stopping points.

If HSBC hijacks "guided rides", what do we call the other sort? No- one's going to call them "ride socials" sorry and "social rides" is already something else in cycling clubs.
It gets better as well. We are now expected to lead 8 rides ( up from 4, then 5 ) After the initial kit supply, you don’t get any more (unless you ask for replacements), we don’t get paid any more either ( we get a free ‘ride’ level BC membership but that’s it ) and getting expenses paid for any travel costs incurred etc. isn’t straightforward either. There really is no good reason to volunteer now, I’d rather just pay the BC membership fee, and set up some ride socials as and when I can. Being expected to do 8, is taking the proverbial.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
It gets better as well. We are now expected to lead 8 rides ( up from 4, then 5 ) After the initial kit supply, you don’t get any more (unless you ask for replacements), we don’t get paid any more either ( we get a free ‘ride’ level BC membership but that’s it ) and getting expenses paid for any travel costs incurred etc. isn’t straightforward either. There really is no good reason to volunteer now, I’d rather just pay the BC membership fee, and set up some ride socials as and when I can. Being expected to do 8, is taking the proverbial.

I get free silver membership anyway as i am a volunteer with a ClubMark accredited club, i lead Family rides year round so its no skin off of my nose to do 8.

Does anyone actually know what happens if we don't do 8?

D

Deleted member 26715

You don't need to be just an email address required to register on Lets Ride
I've just done that, but still don't know if I can join you this time as I have some jobs to do which the weather will dictate over the next couple of days. But if I can & there are spaces available I'll sign on Saturday & join you.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry can't make it, but will look out for more in the area.

Top Bottom