Gumtree courier collection scam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I advertised a bike for sale in Gumtree. I have received two messages asking me whether I am happy to send them by courier. Both messages came on WhatsApp and it identify it as a business account.
One message said "would you mind if I arrange delivery and have a courier come up to you? Of course I will pay for the bike before the courier arrives so you would not be embarrassed and all postage will also be paid"
Other one says to follow "Gumtree delivery methods.
Buyer pay. send a link to receive payment, within 3 days seller hands over the goods to the courier"

I feel that it is a scam. I am bit hesitant to give my bank account details to a stranger.
Has anyone heard of such scams?

Payment via PayPal only or cash on collection and you choose the courier and insurance level you need. Don’t let the buyer do it.

OP
OP
midliferider
Absolute scam. Do not touch at all.
They will string you along, then say that payment will be made to your bank account once the courier has collected item.
You give them you bank details and they put markers on your bank's phone app. Don't ask how they know how. Next time you log into your bank account they have all the details needed. Bingo. Bank account emptied.

How do I know? I very nearly got caught. Its only because I'm an awkward bastard that I escaped. But I needed a new bank card and had to uninstall and reinstall my Internet banking with completely different passwords. No surprise to my bank - they have seen this before.

THIS IS A SCAM.

Thanks. That is very helpful. It is helpful to be awkward. !

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I live in Denmark and tried to buy a Moulton on Gumtree. I asked if they could box it and I would have it collected by courier at my expense. I would pay for the bike by whatever means they wanted. But they would have the Cash in their hands before the bike was collected.

They would not entertain me at at all and immediatley thought it was a scam. I am all for making sure that people do not take your kit and not pay for it. But there are a lot of genuine buyers out there.

The Moulton is still for sale.

keithmac

Guru
I live in Denmark and tried to buy a Moulton on Gumtree. I asked if they could box it and I would have it collected by courier at my expense. I would pay for the bike by whatever means they wanted. But they would have the Cash in their hands before the bike was collected.

They would not entertain me at at all and immediatley thought it was a scam. I am all for making sure that people do not take your kit and not pay for it. But there are a lot of genuine buyers out there.

Unfortunately there are that many scammers the honest buyers get tarred with the same brush.

Only option is asking for someone you know in UK to buy it then forward it on.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet

If you're in that kind of predicament, ask the seller to list the item on a 'safer' website, say eBay, send you the link and buy it so they're covered by eBay T&C.

You give them you bank details and they put markers on your bank's phone app. Don't ask how they know how. Next time you log into your bank account they have all the details needed. Bingo. Bank account emptied.

THIS IS A SCAM.
What are markers, and how do they try to do that?

There is one thing that has puzzled me a bit regarding bank details. People are understandably reluctant to give bank details. However, when someone sends a cheque, everything is there- account number, sort code, your name, and usually the address of the bank branch.

In theory then, if you send a cheque to someone that you have communicated with on your phone you have put yourself at risk of fraud?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

There is one thing that has puzzled me a bit regarding bank details. People are understandably reluctant to give bank details. However, when someone sends a cheque, everything is there- account number, sort code, your name, and usually the address of the bank branch.

In theory then, if you send a cheque to someone that you have communicated with on your phone you have put yourself at risk of fraud?
Yes, I've often wondered about that (says he, not having changed his bank for about 30 years, so hundreds of people will have received cheques from me in that time).

Can anyone explain why disclosing one's bank details nowadays has supposedly become so dangerous?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Interesting. I was selling a motor cycle recently. Buyer asked for my bank details and paid me, before arriving to collect motorbike. My wife was very anxious about it, but, I could not see what advantage having my sort code and account no was to buyer, other than to pay me.

That was about two weeks ago, motorbike has been collected, I have my money, so far (fingers crossed etc etc), no adverse effect.

Reactions: C R
The risk is mainly they can set up direct debits and “pull” money from your bank account. Of course you are covered by the direct debit guarantee scheme.

Standing orders are a “push” mechanism where the purchaser sends money whereas a DD, the purchaser requests the debit of money.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The risk is mainly they can set up direct debits and “pull” money from your bank account. Of course you are covered by the direct debit guarantee scheme.

Standing orders are a “push” mechanism where the purchaser sends money whereas a DD, the purchaser requests the debit of money.

Having had both my bank account and credit card hacked recently (same issuer, but different companies) the restrictions they've put onto my account wouldn't let this occur. Everything currently requires a phone confirmation, which is a pain but effective.

keithmac

Guru
Any DD or payment I set up requires 2 step Authentication including an encrypted Digital Key.

As said Cheques have sort code ans ac number on, if you pay anyone by BACS they have sort code and ac.

If you lose your cash card, you get a new number but there's still a card floating about with your sort code and ac on it.

Top Bottom