Gumtree courier collection scam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I would never look at anything on Gumtree or FB that was out of my collection area. The whole point of local selling sites is that they are free, and therefore do not offer the facility to arrange secure payment and delivery. Ebay does, but of course you have to pay for that service (as a seller). It is starting to get tiresome advertising on the free sites now; not only do you have to put up with no shows and messing about, but as I experienced last week, you get aked to ship a 100kg item that's 2 metres long and you are only asking £50 for it. Even if it was genuine, I would not bother to do it. I know it sounds environmentally unfriendly but I've often been tempted to take things to the recycling centre down the road, as it's often much easier than going through the minefield of chancers, scammers and rude people for the sake of a few quid. Not to mention the people who want your free stuff which you think could help someone out, only to see them advertise it for money the next day

Alex321

Veteran
I know it sounds environmentally unfriendly but I've often been tempted to take things to the recycling centre down the road

Why is that "environmentally unfriendly". Most of the stuff you take there does get recycled.

OP
OP
midliferider
Rather than starting a new thread, can I please ask another related question.
I recently messaged about a bike advertised on gumtree, in London. Seller asked me to come to Chiswick station to view the bike. The seller had been posting under one month. I declined. Sounds like selling a stolen bike.
Any views?

I would never look at anything on Gumtree or FB that was out of my collection area. The whole point of local selling sites is that they are free, and therefore do not offer the facility to arrange secure payment and delivery. Ebay does, but of course you have to pay for that service (as a seller). It is starting to get tiresome advertising on the free sites now; not only do you have to put up with no shows and messing about, but as I experienced last week, you get aked to ship a 100kg item that's 2 metres long and you are only asking £50 for it. Even if it was genuine, I would not bother to do it. I know it sounds environmentally unfriendly but I've often been tempted to take things to the recycling centre down the road, as it's often much easier than going through the minefield of chancers, scammers and rude people for the sake of a few quid. Not to mention the people who want your free stuff which you think could help someone out, only to see them advertise it for money the next day

You can always try putting things on FreeCycle - no money is ever involved
hence no scam possible
(except if someone tries some collection scam - but that is normally obvious)

Even recycling is less environmentally friendly than the item being reused in its original form

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You can always try putting things on FreeCycle - no money is ever involved
hence no scam possible
(except if someone tries some collection scam - but that is normally obvious)

Even recycling is less environmentally friendly than the item being reused in its original form

I've never had any success on freecycle, I think most people have forgotten about it. And I doubt that would prevent people from saying they'll show up and then not doing so

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I recently messaged about a bike advertised on gumtree, in London. Seller asked me to come to Chiswick station to view the bike. The seller had been posting under one month. I declined. Sounds like selling a stolen bike.
Any views?

I wouldn't. It screams of stolen bike to me. Probably posts all stolen items under a new gumtree account which is why that account says only been posting under 1 month. Even if genuine, I'd wonder why someone was afraid to sell something from their own property. I was caught out by this a few years ago, I bought a bread maker from someone and when I asked where they lived to pick it up, they replied "I'm in the area, I can deliver for free". So they delivered it to my door, took my £20 and were off. I tried it the next day and it kept tripping my circuit breaker, hence was faulty. And you can guess how much luck I had reporting it to Gumtree.

Freecycle-invariably I find that people seem reluctant to provide a phone number. If I get several replies, right or wrong I give the item to the replier with a phone No. It is a lot quicker to phone/tx than logging in etc.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
yeah true but I'd rather see it used by someone else, rather than getting mulched up. But yes it's better than going in landfill

Are there no charities in your area that would take it off your hands? We have a couple in Glasgow.

I think Freecycle/Freegle/Trash Nothing depend a lot on the area
In some areas they work great - in others they don't

I have had pretty much no problems with them round here - but I have spoken to people who lived a bit away (I didn;t live here at the time) who found it useless

depends

alex_cycles

Veteran
Any views?

Gumtree suggests this to buyers, actually. Not everyone wants complete strangers knowing where they keep their bikes.

https://help.gumtree.com/s/safety?cat=Safely_Buying_Selling&article=Quick-Safety-Tips

Meet in Person Before Paying

A Fraudster’s greatest tool is that online translations are anonymous. Don’t provide any money until after you’ve met them in person and had a chance to inspect the item. We recommend that you meet during the day in a busy, public location like a coffee shop.

Nice in theory, but completely impractical for the sale of a bike.

I've bought 4 second-hand bikes in the last 12 months (Road, gravel and 2xMTB - all in regular use now). One via eBay and three via GumTree. In all cases I've paid in cash on collection from the owner's home (but only once been inside the home). It gives you an opportunity to assess the people and goods before committing. It IS common practice for the buyer to only release their full address a short while before the rendez-vous time. I don't have a problem with that.

I deliberately avoid London because I hate it. It usually takes me about 4-6 weeks to find the bike I'm looking for at a reasonable price and within 100 miles. And you generally have to be quick off the mark. But always be willing to walk away if it smells wrong.

vickster

Legendary Member
Any views?

I’ve passed several bikes to buyers at the local station as it was convenient for them as they were coming by train.
As a woman living alone, I don’t necessarily want strangers coming to my house either although I do agree if they’re coming by car but clearly they aren’t invited in.
I’d never post a bike, far too much hassle to package up plus the risk of damage, going missing and scams

keithmac

Guru
I wouldn't want randomers round at my house but in the same breath I would be weary of buying any big money item in the middle of a coffee shop/ train station etc.

The advise seems to be contradictory in some cases

If you are the buyer it says to make sure you know eher the seller lives - and pick it up from their house so you can be sure

but if you are the seller then the advise if often to meet in a separate place so they don;t know where you live

at least one part of the deal has to ignore that !

Top Bottom