Gumtree listing * BEWARE *

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Raleigh produced a few decent Reynolds 501 framed MTB's in the early 90's. The seatstays are the giveway that they are Reynolds. I picked up a 1991 example in a goodly 23" size a while back, which was otherwise destined for the scrap. View attachment 521181

I'm seriously considering having a go at wheel building and converting it from 7-speed to a SA hub gear. The top tube is 23 1/4" long, so the reach is a bit much, but North Road roadster bars sort out that problem.
Would have thought a feisty fettler such as yourself would be no stranger to wheel building? Sounds like an interesting project. Will the dropout orientation be an issue?, the OLD of the steel frame less so. I have done a similar conversion on an aly frame, but that's more bodger than fettler really :laugh:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Not all of us are OCD about cleaning things. A clean bike doesn't go any better than a dirty one and I can think of plenty of more enjoyable activities to do instead of bike cleaning.
I disagree with that. A clean bike definitely does work better than a dirty one.

I do like a clean bike, I can’t help it, it has to be spotless.
I don't go that far at all but i think it important to keep the functional stuff pretty clean _- drivetrain and rims of rim-braked bikes - prolongs life,bike rides and sounds better, helps more serious problems to be spotted.

D

Deleted member 26715

Well I think this thread is one of two things, it's either the OP is a Scout & wants to earn their Busy Body badge, or the OP is the seller & doesn't want to put it in the For Sale section & thinks putting it in Bike buying section will get more views.

OP
OP
M

Mfezela

Well I think this thread is one of two things, it's either the OP is a Scout & wants to earn their Busy Body badge, or the OP is the seller & doesn't want to put it in the For Sale section & thinks putting it in Bike buying section will get more views.

Neither actually. The bike is a **** danger. Forgot to mention the completely rusted spokes, couple of which are so thin it's probably just rust, no metal at all. If the listing clearly states "unroadworthy" or some such, then fine. Caveat etc.
Please feel free to move the post into what you consider the most relevant section.

Personally I'd like to see some sort of MOT system for bicycles!

Guzzi

This sounds like an interesting project.

It cost £36 so worth a punt, no idea how heavy 531 Magnum is but I'm thinking of putting my Shimano Nexus hub on it with 1.5" tyres

Would that be a Ranger by any chance? They always struck me as good potential tourers/potholed tarmac urban commuters - with the slack geometry and long chainstays. They look just like a vintage roadster frame on steroids.
What's the 531 tubeset on your Dawes? Is it a 531ST frame or some oversized ATB tubing?

I think it's a Roamer the sticker says "531 tubes and stays" rather than just main tubes, my Mother in law bought it second hand used it once and passed it onto me. I read somewhere it was only made in 1986 and sold for £425.
I'll post a photo later so you can see just how long the stays are .....and to disgust the OP with the state of it!

OP
OP
M

Mfezela

And proficiency tests for riders? Mandatory third party insurance? :laugh:

I'll ask this in all seriousness. Why not?
Would either of the above, some type of registration document or paying a road tax be beneficial to us cyclists?

Before any knee jerk responses, prepare a list of Pros and Cons. Study it carefully. What did you manage to find that could be put under the heading Cons?

Rider training may go some way to reducing accidents. At the risk of courting vitriol, would anyone undertake if they'd been educated on the risks.

Since we're on public roads/tracks and often on private property, the 3rd party (I'd go further and opt for fully comprehensive) cover would be a good idea.

Registration documents would undoubtedly reduce theft.

Number plates (which are compulsory in some countries already) would allow for easy identification.

Paying 'road tax' would completely remove that hoary old chestnut.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mfezela

So newfhouse, how does your Pros and Cons list look?
Or just a knee jerk reaction?
You're stuck at home, spend a minute or two, think about it.
Even a knee jerk reaction comes from somewhere. What's your unreasoned objection?

Top Bottom