Gumtree listing * BEWARE *

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I'll ask this is all seriousness. Why not?
Would either of the above, some type of registration document or paying a road tax be beneficial to us cyclists?
Nope

Before any knee jerk responses, prepare a list of Pros and Cons. Study it carefully. What did you manage to find that could be put under the heading Cons?
Yes

Rider training may go some way to reducing accidents. At the risk of courting vitriol, would anyone undertake if they'd been educated on the risks.
I have a license which covers me for car, HGV, Bud/Coach, Motorcycle (Advanced) I think the only thing I'm not qualified for is a tracked vehicle, what advantage would a cycle proficncy test do me?

Since we're on public roads/tracks and often on private property, the 3rd party (I'd go further and opt for fully comprehensive) cover would be a good idea.
What would the fully comp cover?

Registration documents would undoubtedly reduce theft.
Has that worked for car, motorcycles?

Number plates (which are compulsory in some countries already) would allow for easy identification.
What purpose do you envisage they would be for, if identification how large do you expect them to be?

Paying 'road tax' would completely remove that hoary old chestnut.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Would either of the above, some type of registration document or paying a road tax be beneficial to us cyclists?

You tell us, along with your explanation of the perceived benefits.

Rider training may go some way to reducing accidents. At the risk of courting vitriol, would anyone undertake if they'd been educated on the risks.

Are you talking about filtering?

Since we're on public roads/tracks and often on private property, the 3rd party (I'd go further and opt for fully comprehensive) cover would be a good idea.

Is there a widespread problem with people on bikes causing notable levels of damage, death and injury?
How big do you estimate the risk to be?

Most adult cyclists are likely covered already through their house insurance anyway, as I am, at no extra cost. It comes as standard on the policy, that’s how low the risk really is.
Members of cycling groups such as British Cycling or CTC also get 3rd party insurance as a free benefit too.

Number plates (which are compulsory in some countries already) would allow for easy identification

These have been considered more than once by Parliament and the answer is always the same: it would cost too much for no benefit.

No need, vehicles are rated for VED by their emissions and no payment would be due.

And all of these regulations, at what age would they apply? Could my 11yr old daughter not ride to school unless she complied with these regs?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Neither actually. The bike is a **** danger. Forgot to mention the completely rusted spokes, couple of which are so thin it's probably just rust, no metal at all. If the listing clearly states "unroadworthy" or some such, then fine. Caveat etc.
Please feel free to move the post into what you consider the most relevant section.

Personally I'd like to see some sort of MOT system for bicycles!

Ive seen and drove some right nails in the past with an MOT certificate!

It is also not illegal to sell a car without an MOT, so how would that help anybody selling a nail of a bike?

D

Deleted member 26715

I imagine a call about a rusty bike gave the police something to chuckle about .
Or the number marked as a fake call & set to reject, hopefully not used in the future in the case of a real emergency

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Personally I'd like to see some sort of MOT system for bicycles!

What would it test?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Would have thought a feisty fettler such as yourself would be no stranger to wheel building? Sounds like an interesting project. Will the dropout orientation be an issue?, the OLD of the steel frame less so.

I've never built a wheel from scratch. I've trued plenty, some from a pretty bad state and involving brute force in the first stages. I don't ever recall seeing a factory-built ISO 559 rim with a SA 3-speed in it, so it's going to have to be DIY. Fortunately, a hub gear wheel doesn't need any dishing, which simplifies the job considerably by the look of it. The most challenging part looks to be calculating the correct spoke length required.
Dropouts are horizontal on those lugged 501 Raleigh frames and I'm not worried about the spacing as the stays are hi-tensile and can be "persuaded" that they want to be a different dimension.

I've never built a wheel from scratch. I've trued plenty, some from a pretty bad state and involving brute force in the first stages. I don't ever recall seeing a factory-built ISO 559 rim with a SA 3-speed in it, so it's going to have to be DIY. Fortunately, a hub gear wheel doesn't need any dishing, which simplifies the job considerably by the look of it. The most challenging part looks to be calculating the correct spoke length required.
Dropouts are horizontal on those lugged 501 Raleigh frames and I'm not worried about the spacing as the stays are hi-tensile and can be "persuaded" that they want to be a different dimension.
If you need it, I can link you to a good wheel building vid, and a spoke length online calculator - let me know.

Here it is, over on Atomic Zombie https://www.atomiczombie.com/tutorial-3-cross-wheel-lacing/

The spoke site is here https://www.sapim.be/spoke-calculator

I've done a dozen or so wheel builds over the years, but not often enough for it to be ingrained in the old noggin, so Brad's tutorial is a good memory jogger. A SA hub is a heavy old lump, and would be difficult for a first attempt. Would recommend stripping and rebuilding a duffer wheel just to become familiar with it all. Good luck :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll ask this in all seriousness. Why not?

Before any knee jerk responses, prepare a list of Pros and Cons. Study it carefully. What did you manage to find that could be put under the heading Cons?

Number plates (which are compulsory in some countries already) would allow for easy identification.

If you're in the UK.
I'll pay yours, on your car, on condition that you get the correct form, filled correctly, and accepted as proof that you have indeed paid your Road Tax. You can scan/copy the form and the reply as proof that you used the Road Tax Form*, and that it was accepted as such.

I've tried registering a quadricycle, it couldn't be done. Required an SVA Test, as it was then, which had been booked and refused, when I turned up, as they were unable to carry one out on a pedal cycle. No SVA equalled no registration allowed. Therefore no licence plate number could be issued.

*Form number and name to be clearly visible in any picture used as proof by you.

Top Bottom