Guy Martin v The Robot Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I thought the problem was that it knew where it was, but failed to react to the lack of grip in the first hard acceleration, so it accelerated too hard again and binned it.

When they were modifying the program, they were changing variables called stuff like scaling_factor which didn't look like simply changing how much it accelerated where, but more like how quickly it attempted to change speed.
Programmed to do the fastest lap speed, within the set parameters.

At which point the system failed to cope.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Programmed to do the fastest lap speed, within the set parameters.

At which point the system failed to cope.
I agree that it was trying to maximise speed, but it looked like they were not directly setting the target speed. It was an AI system because it looked like it was monitoring the environment and deciding what to do for the best... but missing at least one critical input, so failed!

D

Deleted member 26715

You're right, he's safe as houses. Clearly in supreme control when at high-speed.
if you wish to watch people get injured knock yourself out, pun not intended

Last edited by a moderator:

keithmac

Guru
I don't knoe how many people on here are programmers (either proffesional or hobbyist).

The amount of coding to get that car to drive round a track on it's own at a snails pace, let alone at the speeds it was managing would be monumental.

They said having Guy in the car was an invaluable learning experience for them as a team.

They car was looking for track limits and "learning" on every pass.

Programming a "normal" cars Drive By Wire ECM and if auto TCM is a massive task in itself.

Amazing how people can talk down the amount of hard work gone into the mechanics and software like it's nothing of a job to do.

I was amazed personally!.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't knoe how many people on here are programmers (either proffesional or hobbyist).

The amount of coding to get that car to drive round a track on it's own at a snails pace, let alone at the speeds it was managing would be monumental.

They said having Guy in the car was an invaluable learning experience for them as a team.

They car was looking for track limits and "learning" on every pass.

Programming a "normal" cars Drive By Wire ECM and if auto TCM is a massive task in itself.

Amazing how people can talk down the amount of hard work gone into the mechanics and software like it's nothing of a job to do.

I was amazed personally!.
Never talked it down, just trying to point out that it was following a program on a computer, not making decisions itself as it went round each time.

keithmac

Guru
Never talked it down, just trying to point out that it was following a program on a computer, not making decisions itself as it went round each time.

All computers follow a program, they seemed to be giving it more scope for it's own input (like fine tuning a PID).

It had GPS as one input, but not the only input..

classic33

Leg End Member
All computers follow a program, they seemed to be giving it more scope for it's own input (like fine tuning a PID).

It had GPS as one input, but not the only input..
It wasn't making decisions for itself, all had been preset beforehand.

keithmac

Guru

D

Deleted member 26715

And yet Guy Martin was "invaluable". They must have hired the wrong person
That's subjective, I could probably jump in the car & get it to a certain level but would be totally incapable of getting it to the level if they want to compete against other teams next year.

Top Bottom