Guy Martin v The Robot Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 5060277, member: 45"]Above the speed limit is always inappropriate.[/quote]Who has said it isn't?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As previously stated this is well off topic, but without knowing the road, the conditions at the time, it is not possible to answer.
The topics are Guy Martin and Robot Cars, both of which have been known to speed inappropriately - Guy Martin famously getting nearly double the disqualification number of points and two of the Robot Cars in his show spun out due to inappropriate speed because they didn't factor in grip or lack thereof.

Give any 60mph road and any conditions you like as an example of when you feel it's appropriate and safe to travel at, say, 80mph.

I fear there will be some driverless car programmers who take a similar attitude to speed limits and include some cheat mode that treats them as advisory, like they did with emission limits. Never mind the moral machine questions of whether you kill your customers or the proles outside the car - this is a much bigger danger of computer-controlled cars.

D

Deleted member 26715

Give any 60mph road and any conditions you like as an example of when you feel it's appropriate and safe to travel at, say, 80mph.
80mph is above the UK speed limit therefore there is no appropriate time

Moderators

Legendary Member
The discussion of speeding/safety/self-driving cars has headed off way into Advocacy and Safety territory so doesn't really belong in the Cafe anymore. If you want to continue that debate then please start a thread there or find one that's already been opened.

Please leave this thread to people who would just like to discuss the programme.

U

User482

And I look forward to you having an input on the thread in hand :smile:
I commented on something you said in this thread. I see from the post above that regardless, it is not permissible to discuss something you said in this thread, because that would be off topic.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I did not see the program. But, I find it interesting that people appear to assume that driverless (robot) vehicles will be "safe".

It would be my natural assumption that there are bound to be "accidents". I say this, because, at some point there will be human involvement, that may be as a result of "mixing" the driverless and driven vehicles on the same roads, or, in the design and programming of the control systems, or, in the manufacturing process.

Just like every other form of transport, or indeed, human endeavour, the question will be, "what level of 'accidents' is 'acceptable' ", and, who can be held liable.

And of course where humans and robot mix there will be the people that know they can get the robot to give way through reckless action, the same way that people do with other drivers now when they perceive them as inferior.

I was impressed with the Tesla. Designed with everything already in place and awaiting software upgrades to get newer features is the sort of foresight that puts many other manufacturers to shame. It's a challenge to get my phone to talk to my Suzuki (no that's not a euphemism).

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
And of course where humans and robot mix there will be the people that know they can get the robot to give way through reckless action, the same way that people do with other drivers now when they perceive them as inferior.
That is something I have been pondering about really bad traffic in London.
In very slow traffic where cars push and jostle it would be very easy to just keep pushing past a robot car.
You could get a situation at a junction we’re the robot car never move.
Sometimes you have to eyeball the other driver decide who goes first. A flash of lights or a wave of the arm will go completely unnoticed by a computer.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Most the time vehicles just obstruct the highway. Remove all those parked cars and see how much wider a road is. You would hope driverless cars would mean the mass reduction in personalised transport. Use the driverless car to commute, get to Wales etc. Then it can drive off for the next person. But the car manufacturers would not like that.

Top Bottom