Guy Martin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Best hours tv this Xmas for me. Don't reckon I fancy doing 112 mph on a bicycle and I have no hope of ever doing so! My top speed of 38mph felt quick enough to me. Mind u, if I was chasing Laura trott down with her bum in the air like guy was, I reckon my speed would increase :wub:!!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We watched it on +1 on account of there seeming to be bugger all on so we were watching some sky-plussed old Columbos.
Guy Martin is quite easy on the eye ^_^ those sideburns are epic.

We used to cycle past Rourkes pretty often when we lived in Stoke.

D

Deleted member 1258

Enjoyed that, very good, as others have said what would he have achieved on tarmac.

eck

Über Member
Yes, excellent programme. Although it all came across as a bit of a laddish adventure and a bit of a laugh, one moment struck me: when the aerodynamics guy was showing him the computer simulation of the airflow he would be riding in behind the truck, a look of utter fear crossed his face, I could almost feel him thinking "Oh shoot, what am I doing? " Made it all the more exciting.

Linford

This didn't just take the ability to pedal fast, but also some massive gonads to do something so dangerous. I'm not sure that many competitive cyclists would be happy to expose themselves to the danger he did.. or does in the IOM TT.
Most top motorcycle road racers cycle for fitness anyway. Scott Redding is/was a regular customer in my local Bianchi dealership (Striking Bikes) in Gloucester.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Did you see the speed wobble from various people in that show, must have been a brown pants moment for sure

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Yes, I was wondering how much the sand slowed him down...they chose that location because it was straight, long enough and had no traffic but what would it have been like on the M1 or M6 if he'd been able to use a motorway?

No chance of the M1 the miles and miles and miles and miles of 50 limit road works :banghead: would have put paid to any record attempt

dodgy

Thought it was pure fluff meself, he's not Britain's fastest cyclist, either :smile: It's just a function of the size and effectiveness of the wind break in front of you, he was essentially getting towed.

A far more interesting experiment would have been a fastest descent of a road, or maybe just the fastest human powered effort (recumbent perhaps) on the flat.

Seems like a nice fella though, kind of bloke you'd want to have a pint with.

ASC1951

Guru
Thought it was pure fluff meself, he's not Britain's fastest cyclist, either :smile: It's just a function of the size and effectiveness of the wind break in front of you, he was essentially getting towed..
True, but is it any dafter than Bloodhound and the land speed record, in a 'vehicle' where none of the wheels are driven? That is just a jet fighter which doesn't take off.

Top Bottom