GWS ColinJ.. DVT/Pulmonary Embolism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds like a euphemism for "we used the wrong chemical in the lab by mistake"...

I hope the next test - when you actually get it! - is good news.
I was thinking more like "Oh damn, I dropped the tube"! :thumbsup:

I felt rough this morning for no apparent reason, so this does need to be sorted out before I end up back where I was last year or the year before.

ColinJ

Do you have a drop in centre that's open on a Sunday near to you?
I don't have time to go today, but I will have to find out about the drop in centre in Todmorden in case I need to use it in future. I know that the NHS were thinking of closing it, despite it being in an expensive new health centre and being valued by the local population. I'm not sure if they went ahead with the proposed closure after a big public outcry about it.

I thought about going to A&E yesterday but decided that I could wait until Monday lunchtime. It is usually a 20-30 minute wait in the phlebotomy department rather than sometimes 4+ hours in A&E. I think my situation is fairly urgent, rather than an emergency so Monday should be ok.

classic33

Leg End Member
I was thinking more like "Oh damn, I dropped the tube"! :thumbsup:

I felt rough this morning for no apparent reason, so this does need to be sorted out before I end up back where I was last year or the year before.
The tubes/syringes they use there now can survive a fall onto the floor.

classic33

Leg End Member
There Wednesday and noticed they were using a new syringe type.

gavgav

Guru
Time for an update ...

Things had been going very well - my breathing had improved, my heart rhythm had settled down, my legs were getting stronger, I had got 2,000 hilly miles in on my bikes. After 2 traumatic years, I thought I was recovering and might have got away with the only long-term damage being a sore and swollen leg. And then what I had been dreading for 2 years finally happened - I caught a cold ...

I know that a decent cold or 'flu bug would probably have killed me when I developed my first blood clots in the summer of 2012. I had no reserves left to fight infection, and could barely breathe as it was.

Then I went through the same process in summer of 2013, Revenge of the Clots!

Fortunately, I did not catch my cold until June 2014, when I was much healthier and able to withstand it. Unfortunately, it seems to have done me some damage. Here we are, 6 weeks later, and the shortness of breath, fluttery heart, sore leg, and nausea are back. This is how I felt both previous times that I clotted. I have been worrying that I may have scored a rather unpleasant summer clotting hat-trick ...

I had an appointment with my consultant yesterday (Thursday) and he agreed with me that a cold should not have caused this much of a problem so there might be something more sinister going on. I had a blood-test done to check for fresh clotting and should get the results by noon today (Friday).

It would be a pain if I had managed to clot while taking warfarin because that would imply that I need to increase my dose significantly, and that would increase my risk of suffering serious bleeding problems. Still, that might be a better result than some of the other possibilities ...

I am probably going to have a lung function test, an ultrasound scan of my heart, and maybe yet another CT scan. (I had a chest x-ray yesterday which didn't reveal much, but they are not good for spotting clots.) At this rate, if clots don't get me, the radiation from all these scans probably will! :laugh:

Oh well, here we go again! At least this time, if something bad is going on, then I am currently still capable of cycling, albeit slower than I was riding even 4 or 5 months ago. I will just have to wait for the call from the doc to find out what happens next ...
Sorry to hear you aren't well again Colin. Hope they can sort you out and get you back on the bike again soon!

ColinJ

There Wednesday and noticed they were using a new syringe type.
I do my best to not notice anything! I look away until the whole procedure is done.

Nurse, last week, when I told her that I was squeamish: "So what you are telling me is that you are just a big wimp?"

Me: "Er, YES!" :blush:

Sorry to hear you aren't well again Colin. Hope they can sort you out and get you back on the bike again soon!
Cheers.

It's mainly the wind and rain keeping me off the bike. I will still ride once the weather improves, but be careful not to go too far, or too fast. I still seemed to be ok with 23 miles on my last ride, but I had to take my time.

Once warmed up, I am actually better when moving around. The consultant was talking about blood vessels possibly being a bit clogged with clots, scar tissue, whatever, but dilating with exercise to improve the blood flow. That would make sense, but would be a bit worrying!

One thing at a time. I'll see what these tests reveal, or if I get better without any intervention.

As long as I can keep the fitness gains I have made this year, that would be ok. What I don't want is to go back to square one and have to do another 2,000 miles of hilly cycling just to get back to where I was 6 weeks ago.

ColinJ

Once warmed up, I am actually better when moving around. The consultant was talking about blood vessels possibly being a bit clogged with clots, scar tissue, whatever, but dilating with exercise to improve the blood flow. That would make sense, but would be a bit worrying!
But ... what I can't understand is how s.o.b. (shortness of breath) caused by clots or scar tissue could come and go for no apparent reason! I asked the consultant whether asthma might be a possibility, which is why I am going to have a lung function test if clots are ruled out. Ha - maybe it is a combination of both problems! I might ask for a lung function test anyway even if there are clots which get sorted out by increasing my warfarin dose.

ColinJ

Do you have a drop in centre that's open on a Sunday near to you?
The drop in at Todmorden is open today but they "do not take blood samples". I don't know why they won't, given that a nurse on the same floor of the same building took a sample from me last Thursday, but there you go ...!

I know the NHS is trying to save money, but that means someone who lives the far side of Todmorden could have a 30+ mile round trip for a simple procedure when a multi-million pound new NHS health centre nearby is being under-utilised.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The drop in at Todmorden is open today but they "do not take blood samples". I don't know why they won't, given that a nurse on the same floor of the same building took a sample from me last Thursday, but there you go ...!

I know the NHS is trying to save money, but that means someone who lives the far side of Todmorden could have a 30+ mile round trip for a simple procedure when a multi-million pound new NHS health centre nearby is being under-utilised.
A missive to your MP maybe? Not that it helps you right now but not taking blood samples seems a bit daft.

Top Bottom