GWS ColinJ.. DVT/Pulmonary Embolism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I read back up thread a bit...

:ohmy:

*goes to find thread. :sad:
Very sad, but moving ...

Dying suddenly of illness (not in an accident) on a ride with my pals wouldn't be nice for them, other friends or my family, but it is the way that I would choose for myself. Both my parents had to endure slow, unpleasant declines and I dread that happening to me.

ColinJ

I finally got my tests done today. It nearly didn't happen because I was turned away for not having any paperwork requesting the tests. I explained that they were urgent and that the request was made by phone, but the answer was still 'no'!

Fortunately, a second person overheard the conversation as I was giving up and heading off, preparing for a long stint in A&E. She told me to go to Outpatient reception and explain the situation there, which I did. After a 5 minute wait, someone looked me up on the computer system and printed a request form for me. I walked back down the corridor, produced the document and was called so quickly that I didn't even have time to sit down!

The nurse was great. She took blood for the d-dimer (clotting) test and a second tube for an INR (clotting TIME) test. She said that it was to save money instead of using the INR machine. I can't see that sending a tube of blood to be tested in a lab can be cheaper than using a slide which costs £3-4, but I wasn't bothered since the needle was already in my arm!

I felt rough walking to the station, great walking back, and in-between now. I think I am teetering on the brink of something bad happening, but it has hopefully been caught in time. That is, assuming that it is something which is easily fixable.

So now, I need to wait for word from the consultant to see whether it is clotting or something else, and what tests come next.

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I think I am teetering on the brink of something bad happening, but it has hopefully been caught in time. That is, assuming that it is something which is easily fixable.

So now, I need to wait for word from the consultant to see whether it is clotting or something else, and what tests come next.
Keeping my fingers crossed that it, if it's anything, has been indeed caught in time. *hugs*

D

Deleted member 1258

Heres hoping you get this sorted soon, and it turns out to be something minor.

D

Deleted member 1258

Very sad, but moving ...

Dying suddenly of illness (not in an accident) on a ride with my pals wouldn't be nice for them, other friends or my family, but it is the way that I would choose for myself. Both my parents had to endure slow, unpleasant declines and I dread that happening to me.

Now I'm into my 60's I've started to notice subtle little changes that would suggest that an age related decline may have started, I don't want to endure a slow unpleasant decline into old age like I've seen with some of my older friends, when the end comes I want it to be quick.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColinJ

Hmm ... I got my test results today. They indicate that my INR is within the therapeutic range, and there is a 95% likelihood that I am NOT reclotting!

That's good news because I really did not fancy having to start clearing clots from my lungs all over again, but it does lead straight to the question 'What is happening, then?' ...

I'm still hoping that I have just developed a mild case of asthma, which hopefully would be easily manageable with inhalers (though there might be some interaction between asthma meds and warfarin). Posters in this asthma thread had symptoms similar to mine until they were treated for asthma.

I went out and did a hilly 17 mile ride this afternoon. Things went the same way as of late - I was short of breath and had to be very careful not to overdo the 10% climb that I hit after only 800 metres of riding, but after 15 minutes I was starting to feel good; a 15-20% climb after 25 minutes was no problem; hours later, my pulse rate has not quite returned to normal though, and my breathing is not quite right.

I was paying a lot of attention to my breathing when on the bike, and I think there is just a hint of wheeziness there. If I force all the air out of my lungs, I do wheeze and develop a cough. The damp air was quite chilly in a strong wind and that made my lungs uncomfortable.

So ... Assuming that I am not one of the rare cases of a 'false negative' on the d-dimer test, no CT scan is required and it will be heart and lung tests next. These are being treated as lower priorities than the potential clotting was, and I think that is reasonable. As long as I don't get worse than I am now, I can wait a few weeks or maybe a month or two for the tests. If anything else develops which alarms me, I'll get on the phone and demand action. There is always A&E if urgent action is needed.

Now I'm into my 60's I've started to notice subtle little changes that would suggest that an age related decline may have started, I don't want to endure a slow unpleasant decline into old age like I've seen with of my older friends, when the end comes I want it to be quick.
I'd like to make it to 80 and still be riding. A great uncle of mine in Scotland was well into his 80s when he finally gave up his bike because his sense of balance was letting him down. (He should have switched to a trike!)

I have chatted to quite a few riders in their late 70s and early 80s. They admitted to having slowed down a lot with age, but they must have been handy when they were young because they weren't exactly hanging about when I saw them!

ColinJ

Oh, and my next blood test is supposed to be in Halifax 8 weeks from yesterday. That is an improvement on the previous 12 week interval between tests, but I will go to the local Wednesday clinic 7 weeks tomorrow instead of trekking to Halifax on the Monday.

Yesterday I just scribbled a note on the paperwork to say that I had come in to be tested 6 weeks early because there was a chance that I was clotting and I didn't want to wait another month and a half to be tested. I will do that again in the future if I am worried.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't blame you for anything you've done. You have a recognised condition and in the past have sufferred due to it.
Had you left it, and it had been serious, I've no doubt there'd be a few saying you were daft for leaving it. You're living with it, the experts, no matter how many people they see will not be able to match the personal knowledge of the impact of the condition on you.

Hope the news remains good for you on this.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
That is great news Colin, a box ticked so something less to worry about. Why don't you keep the training/cycling pretty easy until you are fully recovered, as the advice for most is don't train if you have a chest thing going on, even just a chesty cold.

ColinJ

Why don't you keep the training/cycling pretty easy until you are fully recovered, as the advice for most is don't train if you have a chest thing going on, even just a chesty cold.
I took 3 weeks off the bike when I actually had the recent cold. This scare is due to the fact that a month later my breathing is still being affected, and my heart seems to respond to that. It is a bit of a chicken and egg question though - heart affecting breathing, or breathing affecting heart?

I blacked out at the roadside about 20 years ago when riding up a steep climb too soon after a nasty cold, so I am a bit more cautious now.

I feel ok on the bike once warmed up, but I can't go too close to 100% effort without feeling that I am going to regret it, so I back off a bit.

It is 2 years since I first went into hospital with DVT/PE and I took 8 months off the bike then. I think getting back on my bike helped. I have never fully recovered and probably never will, but I have done better than I initially feared so I will keep on trying and see what level I can get to.

I used to be overweight and that held back my fitness, but I felt very rugged and could take a lot of physical punishment. A bit of a cart horse. Those days are gone. Maybe I will end up more like a race horse - faster, but much more fragile?

The rain is supposed to stop at about 3:00 today, so I will try to get another shortish ride in and see how it goes.

Top Bottom