Gwyneth Dunwoody dies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Gwyneth Dunwoody died last night. It's sad as I always thought she represented what an MP should be; independent, passionate, hardworking. I guess she'll be replaced by some simpering, ex lawyer, yes man.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7353743.stm

I think it also might mean a shift in transport policy as she was a very fierce critic as chairman of the Transport Select Committee. It probably also signals the end of the Coastguard as we know it. Accountants have always struggled with the 'value' of saving life. Damm difficult to enter on the balance sheets, don't you know. She was their keenest supporter.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
A good straight forward, straight talking politician of the old school. Politics is poorer for the new breed of slick PR types.

bobg

Über Member
Just heard the news. very sad. She was one of the few politicians that would make me stop what I was doing and listen to what she had to say. Even if I didn't agree with it, and that rarely happened, it always made good common sense and was explained clearly without spin. Lets have more like that.

NickM

Veteran
My initial response was "1 down, 645 to go". She cost us £125,670 (plus her salary) to run in the year to March 2007, putting her 508th. She also voted strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. However, it does seem that she might have been one of the (vanishingly rare) type who wasn't either power-crazed, a pocket-liner, or both.

Of course, she was 77. Dennis Skinner is 76 (and he only cost us £67,891, plus his salary, and I believe he takes only the national average wage, which after all is the most any MP can justify being paid). Is any MP younger than them worth having? I can't think of one.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
NickM said:
My initial response was "1 down, 645 to go". She cost us £125,670 (plus her salary) to run in the year to March 2007, putting her 508th. She also voted strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. However, it does seem that she might have been one of the (vanishingly rare) type who wasn't either power-crazed, a pocket-liner, or both.

Of course, she was 77. Dennis Skinner is 76 (and he only cost us £67,891, plus his salary, and I believe he takes only the national average wage, which after all is the most any MP can justify being paid). Is any MP younger than them worth having? I can't think of one.

That's more like it Nick. Some of your posts have been far too jolly lately it's been making me quite depressed:biggrin:

The misanthrope lives - hurrah;):angry:

LLB

One of the greatest losses to modern politics IMO was Mo Mowlem. She had the sort of integrity which Tony Blair could only dream of, even though standing by her beliefs cost her a cabinet position (Also worthy of a mention was Robin Cook who resigned over the invasion of Iraq) :angry:

NickM

Veteran
rich p said:
The misanthrope lives - hurrah;):angry:
Well, I don't deny being misanthropic (except in a few special cases, like most of you lot on here :smile:)...

...but it's politicians we're talking about here! It would be a jolly fine day if they were all locked up in the Palace of Westminster and the place razed to the ground with them (and the "Lords", and the bishops, and the "monarch") inside it!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
NickM said:
Anyway, there's not necessarily anything miserable about being misanthropic!

I find it pretty satisfying :smile:

I know! I was using a previous quote of yours, not just a gratuitous insult( or compliment -please delete as necessary):angry:

Top Bottom