Hackney is so bad...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
...that it made the bottom of this list twice!

EE628738-A4BB-4464-997D-B01D875ECE3E.thumb.png.c824f9339c02a54fde02cedb94dde903.png

Globalti

Legendary Member
Meanwhile the Ribble Valley has voted itself just been voted the happiest place in the UK. The thinly-disguised infomercial I've linked below has nothing at all to do with the local pubs and restaurants or the builders who are joining Whalley to Clitheroe with hundreds of estate homes they need to sell, oh no.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/23/ribble-valley-officially-the-yk-happiest-place

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I was quite happy when I lived in Hackney for a while apart from the time some scumbag stole the bumpers off my car.
Victoria Park was just opposite, rather nice;

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Meanwhile the Ribble Valley has voted itself just been voted the happiest place in the UK.
Hackney + Diane Abbott.Just brilliant.

Then they say 'it's grim up north'!:rolleyes:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
An acquaintance of mine was brought up around Spitalfields.

He described how his family 'moved out' to Hackney for some green space and less dense housing.

After not many years they 'moved out' again to Walthamstow for the same reason.

He observed significant social change in Hackney over a relatively short period of time.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's normal for people to move out of cities as they grow wealthier. Usually they move west to find fresher air. London has a mosque in Brick Lane that started as a Hugenot chapel then became a synagogue and is now a mosque as successive waves of immigrants come into the city, arriving at the docks in the old days. The Hugenots have now integrated fully into British society (Eddie Izzard, Winston Churchill and SA's Charlize Theron all Hugenots) while the Jews have made it as far as the suburbs of north London.

Meanwhile the Ribble Valley has voted itself just been voted the happiest place in the UK. The thinly-disguised infomercial I've linked below has nothing at all to do with the local pubs and restaurants or the builders who are joining Whalley to Clitheroe with hundreds of estate homes they need to sell, oh no.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/23/ribble-valley-officially-the-yk-happiest-place
I thought that was derived from something from the Office of National Statistics?

Yes I know there is a fair bit of local opposition to new houses being built but I must admit that a lot of it strikes me as nimby stuff. I have no wish to see my local patch spoilt but folk need to live somewhere. And more houses in some spots might dissuade the powers that be from further bus cuts. And Barrow always seemed like the sort of place that could do with more folk. School still going? I know it seemed under threat at one time. I don't think Clitheroe has been spoilt at all or is in serious danger of being spoilt.

Top Bottom