Hackney rider pursued, knocked from bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

In the Gazette now:

Road rage driver ploughs into cyclist after tailing him down Stoke Newington street

http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/new...ing_him_down_stoke_newington_street_1_4422725

Cyclist shouts at motorist.Motorist doesn't like that.
Motorist uses vehicle to exact "revenge"
Cyclist ends up in hospital.
Work out the moral.
warning:Reductio ad absurdum argument follows, but I feel it warrants a response.

If a man hits a woman (harder than he meant to) and kills or maims her, because she disobeyed him, would you take a lesson that she should have obeyed him?

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
warning:Reductio ad absurdum argument follows, but I feel it warrants a response.

If a man hits a woman (harder than he meant to) and kills or maims her, because she disobeyed him, would you take a lesson that she should have obeyed him?
How did we get this far? I was just trying to say that maybe it might be a good idea not to get involved in an exchange of words with a person driving a potential killing machine. Now we are talking about beating women. This forum is weird.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Nope, you made stuff up to blame the cyclist then refused to say why, like you've just refused to answer that question. You have no idea what happened but you slagged off a badly injured person. It's an odd thing to do but refusing to explain or defend your view is just cowardly.

I was just trying to say that maybe it might be a good idea not to get involved in an exchange of words with a person driving a potential killing machine.
Sorry, you are going to have to explain it to me. We mustn't cross someone who can kill us with a car, but that doesn't mean we have to obey someone who can kill us because they are physically stronger?

Where do you draw the line? Explain it to me like I am a three year old. How is this somehow the cyclist's fault, and the above example not the woman's fault?

Edit: to make it equivalent: a driver runs someone down because they shouted at them, and it's the cyclist's fault. A man who kills his wife because she shouted at him. Who's fault is that?

grumpyoldwoman

I took that as a reason to call the police and have him arrested and charged. The bloke in question being my soon to be ex husband! No woman deserves to be beaten by a man (even though he says it was my fault for being in the same room in MY house when he was drunk!)

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
Can I just say that this thread is going on ignore.I have more important things in my life than exchange pleasantries with random who won't acknowledge that sometimes the best thing to do sometimes is to keep your gob shut,which is just what I am going to do.

Tin Pot

Guru
Can I just say that this thread is going on ignore.I have more important things in my life than exchange pleasantries with random who won't acknowledge that sometimes the best thing to do sometimes is to keep your gob shut,which is just what I am going to do.

Just make sure you do it next time you're thinking of abusing a cyclist eh?

I took that as a reason to call the police and have him arrested and charged. The bloke in question being my soon to be ex husband! No woman deserves to be beaten by a man (even though he says it was my fault for being in the same room in MY house when he was drunk!)
phew! and ouch. And I hope the f*cker is still in jail.

I don't think anyone would argue with what you did. Which is why i I picked a similar example to yours to show the fallacy in @Leedsbusdriver argument.

I'd like to think he left the thread because he realised he was in the wrong. But honestly, I suspect he (like - possibly- the driver in the original story) didn't like to be contradicted, and took measures to end it.

I always wondered why the Serious Collision Unit are investigating cases where the elements of an attempted murder is apparent. No doubt that the unit can provide technical assistance but this is a serious crime and not the usual traffic matter.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Sorry, you are going to have to explain it to me. We mustn't cross someone who can kill us with a car, but that doesn't mean we have to obey someone who can kill us because they are physically stronger?

Where do you draw the line? Explain it to me like I am a three year old. How is this somehow the cyclist's fault, and the above example not the woman's fault?
The first part seems correct to me, if only from a survival point of view. But, of course, that begs the moral/legal questions of the second part. And I would hope that, in order to get beyond mere survival where might is right, the legal profession could intervene. Which in turn means that they'll need witnesses otherwise psycho at the wheel won't have to face charges and, voilà, we're back at might is right.

Top Bottom