had a accident... where do i stand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Glad you're OK BTW.

1. AIUI the driver, and therefore their insurance, is ultimately responsible for this, even though it was a passenger who actually opened the door. Their insurance have an obligation to pay you for damages to your bike and to yourself, plus any associated expenses. Their insurance company may then choose to pursue a separate claim against the passenger.

2. Stay out of the door zone wherever possible. I know it's not always easy, but as above, I'd rather a driver behind was annoyed than a door in front injured or killed me.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's a criminal offence to open a door without checking properly, but I suppose as there was no injury it's not in the public interest to prosecute.

And even when the rider is killed, the driver can still walk free.

If a driver ever asks me why I ride so far out from parked cars, I tell him to google "Sam Harding".

GC

OP
OP
dmj

dmj

thanks for your replies people. had a look threw the links and obviously would be better to stay away from the cars but riding about in london you are surely inevitable to be too close to the doors of cars unless you just move with the traffic and get nowhere.... do hope i get somewhere with this claim, just want to get my bike fixed or a new bike.... killing me not riding and getting the train in this lovely weather.​

Top Bottom