Had a crash this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Just curious, why do you need new brakes?

CXRAndy

Guru
Very poor alignment of brake blocks:ohmy:. Could have cost you your life. Very lucky indeed.

Inexperience coupled with disasterous bike mechanics.

If you're regularly riding in the wet, get a bike with hydraulic disc brakes :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
could have been so much worse - next time you go down there you will either be smiling to yourself and thinking how lucky , or in a panic thinking how lucky you were -- is your glass half empty or half full ^_^
as a matter of interest i would create a segment and see how fast others have took it - might have bagged a kom
Don't listen to Berty, he and his tag team Tommy, are famed for crashing:biggrin:

vickster

Legendary Member
Very poor alignment of brake blocks:ohmy:. Could have cost you your life. Very lucky indeed.

Inexperience coupled with disasterous bike mechanics.

If you're regularly riding in the wet, get a bike with hydraulic disc brakes :okay:
Not everyone has money for a new road bike with hydraulic brakes (likely £1000+)

D

Deleted member 26715

Get your LBS to sort :okay:
That might be easier said than done, a works colleague has broken something on his bike, she was unsure what, but from her description it could have been the front derailleur bracket. His LBS has said they will do it, but he is 208 in line & they will ring him 4 days before they think they can get to it.

si_c

Guru
Brake pads are a relatively low cost item, you might only save a couple of ££s shopping online for brake pads, so feel free to get them from your local bike shop if available. If you're planning to replace them yourself then I've used these very successfully for MTBing and Mrs C uses them on her hybrid with no complaints. The red pads give better wet weather performance, oh and they're pretty cheap too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't take it to a shop, learn to do it yourself.

Buy new pads all around. Remove the old ones, clean everything up and check everything moves freely. Fit the new pads loosely. Squeeze the lever enough to hold the pads gently, loosen the bolts and adjust their position so they're against the braking surfaces, square on. Then carefully tighten the bolts holding the pads to prevent them turning with the bolt. Test and repeat until you get both pads set absolutely square on to the braking surfaces. A properly-adjusted rim brake should actually make a crisp clack as it hits the rim when you squeeze the lever fast. Done this way your brakes will allow you to endo the bike with a good squeeze and some weight transfer.

D

Deleted member 26715

Don't take it to a shop, learn to do it yourself.
Although I agree with you in principle that is something that is beyond some people, my wife's uncle used to pay an electrician to come in & change fuses in a plug, he would not know how to go about changing a car wheel.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Well, the two LBS's around here have a 4 week lead-time on service and any workshop stuff. So, I have no choice to crack on myself.
Don't worry, I can change a plug and a car wheel - I've got this :bicycle:

Slick

Guru
Well, the two LBS's around here have a 4 week lead-time on service and any workshop stuff. So, I have no choice to crack on myself.
Don't worry, I can change a plug and a car wheel - I've got this :bicycle:
I don't doubt that you have but get someone else to check it before hurtling down the next hill. :B)

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom