had a puncture - now for daft questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

Hi

I picked up a flat last night close to home, so i pushed it back home. I've only just had brand new Panaracer tyres so am a bit concerned about damaging them, is it possible to get run flat damage like you can when driving a car on a flat? I tried to keep some of the weight of the bike off the tyre but it was flapping around quite a bit when pushing it.

Tonight, I repaired the flat. To get around the problem of the bead not seating properly, I had to use a copius amount of washing up liquid inside the rim and also rubbed along the bead. Silly question, but what is the best thing to clean the tyre and rim with to make sure all is clean and dry to prevent the washing up liquid affecting the brakes on the rim?

Also, the bikes have had a heck of a soaking last night, and were then locked away. I've noticed that the chain and one of the rear cogs is showing early signs of corrosion. Is this where the water was left sitting on the chain etc or is it because maybe it wasn't oiled correctly? What is the best practice when the bike gets a soaking?

thanks for any help

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Don't use washing up liquid, use talcum powder.

Clean your chain using the Mickle method after every wet ride.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Thanks for the advice

I had read about using talc, but had none in the house and wanted to get the job done, I'll make sure I get some for the ever growing collection of bits on the bicycle shelf in the shed :-)

Cubist

Still wavin'
The slight rust on your chain and sprockets is simply surface rust. It'll clean off when you indulge in the Mickle method!

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Thanks Cubist

I've given it a clean and seems to have come up ok.

The tyre, on the other hand, is a nightmare. Since getting them last Saturday I've had a puncture every time I go out. I'm sure I get all the glass and whatever out but obviously something is still in there or I'm just unlucky, but it's really starting to take the fun out of it. After reading other posts on here though I'm going to double check the inside of the tyre tomorrow. the main problem is getting the tyre on the rim without the witness line line dipping below the edge of the rim. Washing up liquid and talc work a treat, alright at home but at the side of the road? Do other people carry talc with them for difficult tyres? It also needs pumping to max pressure to get it to pop into shape, but my portable pump will only go to about 30psi max (should be about 55psi) before my arms fall off, and my track pump is way to big to carry, any recommendations?

On a positive note, I did 10k in total today with a few minor hills thrown in and lots of rest stops (I know, 6.5 mile but 10k sounds good) :ohmy: not bad considering I couldn't get round the block a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom