Had words with a cyclist yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
A long time ago after watching some Lucas Brunelle videos, I thought it would be good to grab onto a car whilst is was moving and get a tow. Since then I have learned that it would be amazingly dangerous and also illegal to do that.

At most traffic lights there are railings besides the pavement, so why could you not just lean on them? I would never lean on a car at lights because I am not that impatient to not unclip.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Waiting at lights and leaned against the car roof, I know it's only his hand but it's the principle, I wound the pass window and told him to fk off, he said "it's only my hand we'll be moving in a minute"....cheeky pr*ck!....I thought yes you will move. So while he was leaning, I moved forward and nearly fell, the lights then changed. Just who the fk do these people think they are, it's the first that's ever happened

Get over yourself.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Lets look at it the other way round...what if a passenger in a car was to lean out of the window and hold onto your bike...
Not really comparable. (1) he might unbalance the bike; (2) he might get his fingers stuck somewhere in something mechanical and do himself an injury; (3) most bikes are sufficiently compact that anyone doing so would also be in my personal space. If I were riding a bike that none of these points apply to (say, a large, four wheeled bike with fairings or other form of side panels to lean against) , I wouldn't mind. In fact, I have done and didn't mind - although it was also a terrifically heavy bike and anyone trying to hang off it to get a free ride got bloody short shrift. But touching or leaning against - who cares?

Dan B

Disengaged member
A sign seen on a show car I once saw:

Run your fingers over my car.
I'll run my car over your fingers.

:eek:
It is worth noting that the original conception of "an eye for an eye" was not to legitimize violence against the perpetrator of a perceived wrong, but to limit the already-extant vengeance/escalation/blood feuds that were previously how people dealt with this stuff. You might say that "it's a limit, not a target"

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's not right, and I wouldn't do it myself, but it's no big deal really. And I am quite particular about my car, more so than my bikes.
Beginning to think that after not enjoying your cycle experience on the bike you recently bought, that you have become a bit of a troll, Stu9? Your recent posts haven't exactly been positive about cycling!

redcard

Veteran
Waiting at lights and leaned against the car roof, I know it's only his hand but it's the principle, I wound the pass window and told him to fk off, he said "it's only my hand we'll be moving in a minute"....cheeky pr*ck!....I thought yes you will move. So while he was leaning, I moved forward and nearly fell, the lights then changed. Just who the fk do these people think they are, it's the first that's ever happened

It sounds like this situation got you angry. Real angry. An almost uncontrollable anger.

Are you getting treatment?

jim55

Guru
i cycle and drive a car (a bmw if that makes a diff )and id never lean on any car ,indeed id react if a cyclist leaned on my car ,the leaning out the window and leaning on the bike is valid ,somebody posted about it not being the same thing ,it bloody is!!never
mind about mechanical and being caught up and stuff ,its still the same principle ,as somebody else said cars have an emotional attachment for a lot of people ,how du know their gloves /jacket sleeves whatever dont have zips/buckles or something that could scratch the paint uv just spent all weekend washing /waxing (dirty hands from just fixing a puncture and oil from the chain )
if ur car was parked and there was somebody leaning on it while on foot most people would tell them not to do it ,the same applies at traffic lights /give ways .stops in gen
i sometimes lean against poles and barriers but never against a car that could move at anytime and the driver could get out and punch you off the bike for a seemingly (to the cyclist)worthless misdemeanour

jim55

Guru
same thing though poeople would feel its an intrusion ,if somebody done it to me id tell them not to ,if they still done it id move to make it impssible to do so ,id just see it as no respect for other peoples stuff

redcard

Veteran
same thing though poeople would feel its an intrusion ,if somebody done it to me id tell them not to ,if they still done it id move to make it impssible to do so ,id just see it as no respect for other peoples stuff

So you agree with me.

Dan B

Disengaged member
i cycle and drive a car (a bmw if that makes a diff )and id never lean on any car ,indeed id react if a cyclist leaned on my car ,the leaning out the window and leaning on the bike is valid ,somebody posted about it not being the same thing ,it bloody is!!never
mind about mechanical and being caught up and stuff ,its still the same principle
Just saying "it bloody is" doesn't make it so. My car car is not liable to overbalancing if pushed sideways, so the primary reason I don't want you leaning on my bike when I'm stopped simply doesn't apply to you leaning on my car.

Top Bottom