Had words with a cyclist yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Licramite

Über Member
I wouldn't mind, its only a car, I would be more intersting in the bike and the kit he has.

I wouldn't do it myself as I can see how people could be offended. -people are very Territorial.

Dan B

Disengaged member
same thing though poeople would feel its an intrusion
What if it was not a car but was (a) an SUV, (b) a stretch limo, (c) a minibus, (d) a double decker bus, (e) a supertanker? What expanse of road space is it OK for you to take up and still get precious about other people touching it, and at what size of vehicle do we say "get over yourself", and given that different people probably have different answers to that question, what makes any particular answer better than any other? Serious question

Tommy2

Über Member
how would people feel if you were at a cafe stop during a ride, sat outside having a coffeeor what ever and someone else came along and realised there were no seats left so sat on your bike to have their coffee.
would that bother anybody?

redcard

Veteran
how would people feel if you were at a cafe stop during a ride, sat outside having a coffeeor what ever and someone else came along and realised there were no seats left so sat on your bike to have their coffee.
would that bother anybody?

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that.

Let me understand this - you rolled forwards and nearly made him fall off? You deliberately endangered someone just to make a point?

Yes, he shouldn't have leant on your car, but that's no excuse for rolling forwards like that.

I absolutely hate comments like this. Its this sort of thinking that allows burglers to sue the owners they are stealing from because they tripped over something. Thanks to people like you even murderers have human rights.

And yes it WAS an excuse for "rolling forwards like that" in my opinion. If someone does something iffy, then it is within reason that they suffer potential consequences. I suggest you check out http://www.darwinawards.com/ as they have plenty of examples which may make you understand things better than I can. Silly man.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I absolutely hate comments like this. Its this sort of thinking that allows burglers to sue the owners they are stealing from because they tripped over something. Thanks to people like you even murderers have human rights.

And yes it WAS an excuse for "rolling forwards like that" in my opinion. If someone does something iffy, then it is within reason that they suffer potential consequences. I suggest you check out http://www.darwinawards.com/ as they have plenty of examples which may make you understand things better than I can. Silly man.

My line of thinking also....no action without consequence and all that.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Cars are too personal perhaps

People wear their cars like overcoats. Touching someone's car is tantamount to touching the person directly. They feel personally violated.

At least, that's the way some people see it. The way I see it is that this is symptomatic of our society's unhealthy, fetishistic obsession with cars.

I wouldn't lean on anyone else's car while cycling because a) as already mentioned, it's potentially dangerous, and b) you do risk being subjected to these irrational responses. But I would only react to someone doing it to my car if I thought there was an intention of causing damage.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't mind if it's a fully lycra'd up roadie with a decent clean bike. Wouldn't like it if it was some weirdo on a filthy MTB or BSO.

lejogger

Guru
I once leant against an unmanned parked car while waiting for the queue in front to disperse. As I was sat, I questioned the morality and have never leant on a car again even though nothing was said by anyone at the time. I just decided that it wasn't good ettiquette.

Yes it's a pain to have to always unclip and clip, especially when you're trying to keep up with traffic and not cause holdups, or not put yourself in danger, but sometimes I'm afraid you have to just put your foot down. Literally.

This thread has reminded me of a train ride back to Chester from Holyhead. My pal and I had spent 10 days touring Ireland and during this time he had noticed his saddle giving off a very unpleasant cheesy odour. It truly made the eyes water.
As the train journey progressed, the carriages filled to the point where there was standing room only. A rather attractive lady with tremendous knockers and a very low cut top decided that to aid her support she would cling onto said saddle for the best part of 30 minutes. I think he certainly felt a little put out that his titanium pride and joy was being used as a glorified zimmer frame, however the visual distraction provided by the rickety train alongside the childish amusement at her cheesified hand seemed to prevent him from speaking up.

Canrider

Guru
That's right, a bit like two preschoolers wandering around windmilling their arms, and if someone happens to get in the way, well, that's the consequences, isn't it?

benb

Evidence based cyclist

There's absolutely no need for the offensive tone of this response.

Hang on, are you seriously saying that even the most minor infringements can have injurious effects to the perpetrator, and that's just fine?
Let's say the cyclist did topple over due to the OP moving their car, and was seriously injured as a result. That's OK is it?

Have you even heard of proportionality?

I can't believe you are seriously saying that a cyclist leaning on a car deserves to be injured because of it.

My line of thinking also....no action without consequence and all that.

But the consequences ought to be proportionate to the crime.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
It's happened to me and I've seen others do it, no skin off my nose at all. Personally I wouldn't do it, but to get het up about it to the extent you become abusive and could have caused him to fall off, jeez.

What else is going wrong in your life to generate that level of instant anger and intolerance.

redcard

Veteran
It's the driver equivalent of getting beaten up because someone didn't like the way you looked at them.

I guess some people don't need much of an excuse to fly off the handle. I mean, probably had a stressful day and need to take it out on someone. Innit.

Top Bottom