Had words with a cyclist yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcard

Veteran
When I do have car, I would welcome cyclists to lean on it....

Don't.

GrasB

Veteran
Matthew_T, this may surprise you but some people in Russia, France & the US care about their cars very much & with some of those people you'd find your self in a very dangerous position if you did something like lean up against their car. There are also people in the UK who don't give two hoots about their car.

If you were to lean on any of my cars you'd get an ear bashing from me. Two of my cars are peppered with small dents, paint chips etc. because they are cars to be used not looked at. That said it's not just about the car it's also about respect for other people's property. A car can be very expensive & something that someone has put a lot of time & money into, it's not something you have any right to risk denting or damaging

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I dont really understand all this nonsense about getting so attached to your car..

Given that it is the second most expensive item you are likely to purchase after a house (apart from a really flash carbon bike :thumbsup:) then you
can understand why some would feel so attached to it.

If whilst waiting on your bike for the lights to change, would you be happy for a ped to stop and rest on your top tube ?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Given that it is the second most expensive item you are likely to purchase after a house (apart from a really flash carbon bike :thumbsup:) then you
can understand why some would feel so attached to it.
Not being a homeowner, my car is actually the most expensive item I have ever purchased. But I still don't see how that translates into emotional attachment: it's a tool, it does a job, but it's not part of who I am. If someone steadies their bike at the lights by putting their hand on the roof, it's not going to materially affect either the value of the car or the ridiculous amount of money I have to pay the finance company each month not to take it away, so really, who cares? If they were balancing on the frame of the open drivers window then I might get uncomfortable because that would actually be my personal space they're in, but if we all went around deciding that our personal space extends as far as each of us feels like extending it, urban life would more or less be impossible as a result.

If whilst waiting on your bike for the lights to change, would you be happy for a ped to stop and rest on your top tube ?
I can't really visualise this, sorry. It's difficult to say how I'd feel about it if I can't imagine it happening or why they;d want to

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Well my bike is the most expensive thing I have ever purchased. When it comes to getting a car, I will probably sell my bike and get a car for less. Meaning that the cars value will still be less than that of my bike.
However, that doesnt mention insurance though which would probably be ten times what my bike is worth.

I dont really understand all this nonsense about getting so attached to your car.

In Paris due to the problems with parking everyone leaves their handbrake off so that the car can be pushed a little to allow other people room to park.
In the USA people just leave their broken cars at the side of the road to rot and then buy a new one.
In Russia there are that many crashes and accidents that every single car has some form of dent in it.

The UK are the only people who actually care so much for trivial items which just cause more problems than they solve. The cause arguments, traffic jams, pollution, and cost a stupid amount to run.
If people in this country took a laid back attitude then things would be a lot calmer.

When I do have car, I would welcome cyclists to lean on it because I would know that it isnt the end of the world and They are extremely unlikely to damage it even if they do fall over.

All of the above is quite correct and in no way based on tired generalisation or flaccid national stereotyping. Everything Matthew writes is confirmed by my Gallic friend Marcel, who cycles over occasionally in his stripey top and jauntily placed beret, with onions hanging from his handlebars. If you're lucky, he'll demonstrate through the medium of mime. They love a bit of mime, the crazy French.

Or....

Having driven extensively in Paris and the USA and been driven extensively in the (then) USSR, I can confirm that all the above stereotypes are tosh and horse poo. And cack and wee wee. And worse. People are not keen on others doing damage to their cars.

As to taking a laid back attutude... people with Youtube channels shouldn't throw stones... or something. I fear, Matthew, that when you drive you might be yelling "THIRTY!" at everyone who passes you and offering helpful driving tips to people who change up 500 revs too high or indicate before looking in their mirror. Just a guess.... :ohmy:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Having driven extensively in Paris and the USA and been driven extensively in the (then) USSR, I can confirm that all the above stereotypes are tosh and horse poo. And cack and wee wee. And worse. People are not keen on others doing damage to their cars.

My experience of living and driving in France is that the stereotype is broadly true. The general philosophy seems to be that cars have bumpers for a reason.

That was a few years ago though, so maybe things have changed.

Yes, I find it hard to imagine anything worse than that.

Sir,

I accept that dirty fingerprints are the very work of Satan, but I'm sure you'll agree there are worse things:

1. A nuclear holocaust brought about by US diplomatic intransigence following threats from Pyongyang.
2. A global failure of the carrot crop, resulting in the use of parsnips and sweet potato in recipes for which they are unsuited.
3. The election of fictional comic-book hero The Incredible Hulk as President of Turkey.
4. Every bootlace in the civilised world coming undone simultaneously for no apparent reason.

There are more, but I cannot think of them at present. One might involve coal dust and an occasional table. But I hope you see my point. If you were being serious, I hope you will now reconsider your statement. One can imagine worse things with ease.

Top Bottom