Had words with a cyclist yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting thread this. I can see it from both sides as i both cycle and drive but i have to say that in this case the cyclist is in the wrong here . You should never put your hand on a car.If someone touched my bike i'd have something to say about it .....ditto if it was my car they touched. IMHO the cyclist was a bit lucky all he got was a f off after that answer.

Canrider

Guru
Adding to this the domestic issues brought about by the significant Kurdish minority, refugess from Syria and an increasingly militant Islamist cabal, the possible negative of any internal instability might have a cataclysmic effect on NATO, the wider Middle East situation, relations with Iran and much, much more.
HULK WOULD SMAAAAASH!!!

HULK NOT APPROVE OF NORTH KOREA'S NUCLEAR PROGRAAAAM!!!

HULK ALSO HAVE OPINION ON BANKERS' BONUSES!!!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Oh, ffs...

It was a generic "you", a counter-argument to your point that applies to everyone, rhetorically mimicking the form of your post but clearly not aimed at you personally. (Does one really need to spell this stuff out?)

This is another reason to lament the passing of the personal pronouns thou and thee. Mine wasn't a generic you, it was specific.

Your intentions would have been clearer had you written, say, "A car owner doesn't get to decide what punishment a cyclist deserves for touching his property."

And just to make my position clear, I don't agree with what the OP did.

GC

Waiting at lights and leaned against the car roof, I know it's only his hand but it's the principle, I wound the pass window and told him to fk off, he said "it's only my hand we'll be moving in a minute"....cheeky pr*ck!....I thought yes you will move. So while he was leaning, I moved forward and nearly fell, the lights then changed. Just who the fk do these people think they are, it's the first that's ever happened
Seriously, what is with the aggression. If you did not like it then just ask him politely to remove his hand. How did you know that he could not unclip and put his hand out to stop from falling? Whether he did it on purpose or not is irrelevant, personal abuse like that is not necessary. Its car drivers like you that most cyclists generally avoid, and you are a cyclist??

albion

Guru
Probably 4 letter ones are the only words that 'type' will respond to.

That same mentality will be chucking waste inner tubes into the street and lobbing food wrappers out of a car window.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
So if I park my glass coffee table at the edge of the road I can get legitimately upset if some cyclist puts their grubby mitts on it? Or does this respect for property only extend to cars?

I doubt that you had any difficulty in understanding the point I made.

GC

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It's a valid point though. Drivers choose to bring their bulky private property into the public space. It does seem a bit rich for them to then treat any contact at all as an invasion of their personal boundaries.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
see Gods of the Road above. We are the new aristocracy of London's streets. If we feel superior, then, frankly, it's because we are. While others fret in tin cans we swan by, head in air, whistling arias from Carmen or Rigoletto, picking our teeth with one hand and scratching our arses with the other - in fact it's a wonder that we have the time (or the hands) to lean on cars. You should be so lucky!

:smile:

albion

Guru
If the whole transport system was redesigned by a scientist cars would be 100% banned and there would be cheap central hub of bus and train routes.

And everyone would be using bikes, electric bikes, electric foot scooters and C5 like contraptions for the maximum 3000 yards travel to each hub.

OP
OP
S

Stu9

Seriously, what is with the aggression. If you did not like it then just ask him politely to remove his hand. How did you know that he could not unclip and put his hand out to stop from falling? Whether he did it on purpose or not is irrelevant, personal abuse like that is not necessary. Its car drivers like you that most cyclists generally avoid, and you are a cyclist??

It's what I said and that's that, as I said, I (as plenty other here too agreed, and some as with the same "words" as me) wouldnt do it and dont expect it.
If it's drivers like me they avoid, that's great, it'll keep them away....I'm a cyclist (well sometimes lol) and if I did that (as I've said) I'd expect the same

@ Albion....I'm actually quite a nice well manered person believe it not....and also quite tidy, and DO NOT chuck stuff out the window, I keep a bag in the car for rubbish then bin it, the same when I'm out, keep stuff in my pocket till I pass a bin

PS....just for the hell of it, I asked 4 of my friends what they'd do......they said the same, infact one said he'd probably just get out and deck him :eek:...even I dont think there's any need for that....and he's a cyclist which I didnt know and in a local club, known him for 4 years aswell :eek:

albion

Guru
The problem is that unless you have the build like a rugby player, that polite question is more likely to lead to hassle and abuse.

Leaning on the car already shows severe lack of reasoning power.
So yes, swearing is what the cyclist is more likely to accept.

All this.....it's only a car....yes agree but the cyclist has no god given right to lean on it, a, because it is dangerous, due to the driver either getting aggressive or moving (or stopping as in the car ad above) and b, because it could spiral into a physical confrontation. Surely as has been said if he can't unclip he should not be riding with those pedals.

Yes, it's only a car and if the OPs action caused the idiot to take a tumble, just like in the car ad, its only a bike falling over when almost stationary.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
So if I park my glass coffee table at the edge of the road I can get legitimately upset if some cyclist puts their grubby mitts on it? Or does this respect for property only extend to cars?
seinfeld_no_thanks.gif

Top Bottom