Had words with a cyclist yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Canrider

Guru
My experience of living and driving in France is that the stereotype is broadly true. The general philosophy seems to be that cars have bumpers for a reason.
The notion of disposing of broken cars via 'taking the (reg) plates off an pushing it into a ditch' has a certain common currency in NAmerica, as well.

jim55

Guru
Just saying "it bloody is" doesn't make it so. My car car is not liable to overbalancing if pushed sideways, so the primary reason I don't want you leaning on my bike when I'm stopped simply doesn't apply to you leaning on my car.
well it goes both ways ,it isnt the "unstableness" thats the issue here ,its touching somebody elses property

Those. Would. Be. Awexsome.

Sir,

How might it benefit anybody to have a fictional character barely in control of his mood swings and suffering serious radiation sickness in charge of a secular government within a state forming the main part of the buffer between Islam and Christendom.

Adding to this the domestic issues brought about by the significant Kurdish minority, refugess from Syria and an increasingly militant Islamist cabal, the possible negative of any internal instability might have a cataclysmic effect on NATO, the wider Middle East situation, relations with Iran and much, much more.

You are exactly the sort of person who would lean on a car in traffic. And if you did, I would move it suddenly. And aggressively.

However, I agree with you about the bootlace thing. That would amuse me.

jim55

Guru
In all fairness, I can see why the OP was annoyed. I love my car, its my pride and joy and I like to take care of it. This includes buying very expensive wax and spending many hours detailing it so the paintwork looks brand new. The worst thing that can happen is then for it to get dirty, or even worse, fingerprints....which attract the dirt which in turn can scratch the paintwork. It is "just a car" but it's MY car that I spent a lot of money on.....so show some respect for other peoples property.....I mean how long does it take to unclip?
^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!
all day long ,this coming from a road cyclist who spends quite a lot of time in the saddle and is a car owner as well,tis why i would never use a car as a leaning post ,

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If someone steadies their bike at the lights by putting their hand on the roof, it's not going to materially affect either the value of the car or the ridiculous amount of money I have to pay the finance company each month not to take it away, so really, who cares?

You don't, and that's fine as far as your property is concerned.

That doesn't entitle a cyclist who shares your outlook to impose that view on the owner of any car he chooses to lean on. You don't get to decide what value someone else puts on his property.

GC

Dan B

Disengaged member
That doesn't entitle a cyclist who shares your outlook to impose that view on the owner of any car he chooses to lean on. You don't get to decide what value someone else puts on his property.
So if I park my glass coffee table at the edge of the road I can get legitimately upset if some cyclist puts their grubby mitts on it? Or does this respect for property only extend to cars?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I haven't punished anyone, or suggested or supported such punishment.
I suggest you direct your comment to the OP.

Oh, ffs...

It was a generic "you", a counter-argument to your point that applies to everyone, rhetorically mimicking the form of your post but clearly not aimed at you personally. (Does one really need to spell this stuff out?)

Dan B

Disengaged member
well it goes both ways ,it isnt the "unstableness" thats the issue here ,its touching somebody elses property
For you the issue might be that of touching someone else's property. I'm just pointing out that there are other reasons cyclists might want their bikes not to be held onto at traffic lights that don't hinge on a perceived abuse of personal property, so the comparison is still not a good one. It only takes a quick look at the bikes piled three deep against the cafe wall at the end of an FNRttC to demonstrate that many cyclists really won't take offence if you park your pride and joy leaning against theirs - and nor does the cafe owner get overprotective about his wall, either

mattobrien

Guru
Might make it a bit tricky to safely pull away at traffic lights if there is a cyclist leaning against your car, kind of implies that you are not giving them enough room, even if the car was there first and they filtered.

Personally I wouldn't lean against someone else's car and I would expect the same courtesy back.

Also, depending on what car I was in, they might get very dirty hands.

Top Bottom