Hadn't realised effectiveness of standing up pedaling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I started doing intervals of standing up pedaling in my commutes earlier this year, mainly to give myself a bit more training for the European Alps, and after doing it for a while, was pleasantly surprised at how effective it is for cycling training.

Before doing this on my commutes, there were some staircases at work I used to walk up just to get a general idea of my fitness, and I've now noticed that the increase in my breathing rate when I walk up them now is very small compared to previously.
I can only assume that standing up pedaling exercises very similar muscles to those used walking up stairs.

I've also noticed a positive effect on my quad muscles since starting the standing up pedaling intervals. I used to dismiss it as unnecessary when I saw any other cyclist doing it, but now I'm converted, and will definitely continue doing it.

Thoughts, anyone?

Regards,
--- Victor.

gbb

Legendary Member
while honking isn't accepted as efficient, I used it to great effect a few years ago when trying to increase my overall average speed, get out the saddle and really attack inclines, usually no more than a few hundred metres (my route was what I'd call rolling hills, none very steep or long). This allowed me to minimise time spent chugging up hill relatively slowly. It's hard work and I used to relax and recover once I'd topped the incline for a few minutes while maintaining a fair speed. This allowed me to increase my average almost immediately from say 16 mph over 50 miles to around 17 mph.
I've always.liked being out the saddle, upper body still, particually the shoulders, it uses a different muscle set.
One proviso...make sure your chain (and transmission in general) is in good condition if you go hammering up inclines.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
while honking isn't accepted as efficient, I used it to great effect a few years ago when trying to increase my overall average speed, get out the saddle and really attack inclines, usually no more than a few hundred metres (my route was what I'd call rolling hills, none very steep or long). This allowed me to minimise time spent chugging up hill relatively slowly. It's hard work and I used to relax and recover once I'd topped the incline for a few minutes while maintaining a fair speed. This allowed me to increase my average almost immediately from say 16 mph over 50 miles to around 17 mph.
I've always.liked being out the saddle, upper body still, particually the shoulders, it uses a different muscle set.
One proviso...make sure your chain (and transmission in general) is in good condition if you go hammering up inclines.
Yes, I'm always careful about maintaining the chain and drivetrain in general. Also, I pick a gear for any pedaling (seated or standing) that keeps my cadence within a reasonable range, to avoid too much spinning or grinding (especially since the latter doesn't do my chain or my quads much good).

S-Express

I started doing intervals of standing up pedaling in my commutes earlier this year, mainly to give myself a bit more training for the European Alps, and after doing it for a while, was pleasantly surprised at how effective it is for cycling training.

Before doing this on my commutes, there were some staircases at work I used to walk up just to get a general idea of my fitness, and I've now noticed that the increase in my breathing rate when I walk up them now is very small compared to previously.
I can only assume that standing up pedaling exercises very similar muscles to those used walking up stairs.

I've also noticed a positive effect on my quad muscles since starting the standing up pedaling intervals. I used to dismiss it as unnecessary when I saw any other cyclist doing it, but now I'm converted, and will definitely continue doing it.

Thoughts, anyone?

Regards,
--- Victor.

What you were doing in those 'standing intervals' was effectively working harder. In that sense, anything that increases your aerobic demand is going to be a benefit to your fitness. To be fair, any other type of interval which resulted in a similar demand for a similar duration would have had the same effect.

midlife

Guru
Used to sprint between lampposts when younger when out on rides as a sort of interval training. Nowadays it's for short hills and when I need to change position and stretch.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
What you were doing in those 'standing intervals' was effectively working harder. In that sense, anything that increases your aerobic demand is going to be a benefit to your fitness. To be fair, any other type of interval which resulted in a similar demand for a similar duration would have had the same effect.
Agreed, and this one has the added benefit of working my stair climbing muscles also, because as I mentioned, my stair climbing is noticeably easier than before. Not that I was unfit before: I've been very fit for years now, thanks to the cycling. But somehow, walking up large flights of stairs tended to leave me a bit out of breath, but now I barely notice them. :smile:

I've found riding out the saddle demands practise. If it's the position of last resort, you often slow down and your hr goes up and then when you slump back down you're generally in bits. Use it as part of your fitness strategy and it's very helpful.

I found myself cycling in the same vicinity as a guy in the Tour of Cambridgehire this year who didn't have a saddle on his bike at all! :eek:

Apparently, he used to suffer badly from saddle sores and so tried standing up in the peddles a lot more. After finding that he found this better he decided to take the saddle off his bike entirely as it was just additional weight and also it would probably put any thief off stealing it.

As well as standing in the pedals for the whole 80 miles he generally had his hands in the drops. Quite an intense position.

I'm assuming that he must have averaged about 20mph for the 80 mile course. I think my thighs would have exploded after about 5 miles. :laugh:

Graham

midlife

Guru
There's a bike that goes up and down the A6 here which the rider stands up and "pedals" using a treddle arrangement like an old sewing machine....

There's a bike that goes up and down the A6 here which the rider stands up and "pedals" using a treddle arrangement like an old sewing machine....
I'm seeing more and more folks out on elliptical bikes. One couple I saw were on the same 180 mile charity ride as me and they seemed to be doing just fine keeping up with everyone.

419AfMcCxeL.jpg

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm seeing more and more folks out on elliptical bikes. One couple I saw were on the same 180 mile charity ride as me and they seemed to be doing just fine keeping up with everyone.

There's a team of Elliptigo riders who frequent the audax scene, and I often cross paths with them. They're fine on the flat but as soon as the gradient turns upwards, they struggle badly.

The riders all look incredibly fit though.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I must practice this standing up malarkey a bit more. I do prefer sitting down and spinning but there have been a few hills recently that, even in my lowest gear, I've had to stand up and grind and, as was mentioned above, if you're not used to it it does indeed leave you in bits. The alternative is to find a bike with even lower gears so that I can spin up anything... but I suspect the bike doesn't exist that would enable me to do that. So practicing standing it could be.

Venod

Eh up
I prefer to spin uphills nowadays but occasionally I will get out of the saddle and power up, I am fascinated how Alberto Contador can stay out of the saddle for long stretchers of uphill.

Top Bottom