Hadn't realised effectiveness of standing up pedaling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've been continuing my intervals of standing up pedaling on some of the hills on my commutes, and it's working really well for my overall fitness. I'm getting better at standing up pedaling for longer, the more I do it. Given my 50th birthday is oh so close :sad:, anything that makes me feel younger is a bonus. Yes, I know, it's just another number, but it's one I'm not really looking forward to.

davidphilips

Veteran
Given my 50th birthday is oh so close :sad:, anything that makes me feel younger is a bonus. Yes, I know, it's just another number, but it's one I'm not really looking forward to.

Dont get to concerned about your chronological age your biological age is more important, cycling can help keep your biological age down.

gbb

Legendary Member
Haha, I was grinning like a Cheshire cat the other day...part of my route included a steady climb, not steep but only maybe 1/4 mile long, maybe a tad longer. I got out the saddle and attacked it, only sitting 3/4 of the way up. Carried loads of speed up it.
Keeps your average speed up, works you, love it.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Haha, I was grinning like a Cheshire cat the other day...part of my route included a steady climb, not steep but only maybe 1/4 mile long, maybe a tad longer. I got out the saddle and attacked it, only sitting 3/4 of the way up. Carried loads of speed up it.
Keeps your average speed up, works you, love it.
I have exactly the same length and grade of hill on my commute home, and can now get to the top with standing pedaling all the way, and yes it's great fun.

jonsablue

I love standing on the peddles. Just started doing it properly after some 13 years cycling!! Shorter steep hills I'll stand up all the way, whilst on longer slogs I'll 60/40 seated/standing. It's increased my climbing ability positively. I used to shy aware from it as I thought it would make me more tired but just the opposite, sharing the work load between the different muscle groups leaves the legs fresher to spin the steep parts out!

I am still waiting for my new lightweight drop bar bike so at the moment I am crashing out my muscle and lung building training miles on my heavyweight straight bar hybrid.
Where I live in central N.E. Lincs there aren't any real hills to write home about, so climbing even a slight incline is quite an event. I have only tried standing up on a few occasions on my old pile of iron because I find it so difficult to do as the frame isn't long enough so instead I sit back and whip up the cadence rate, but as the weeks have gone by obviously the muscles are getting stronger as I am now averaging somewhere between 15 & 17 mph on my circuits, which I don't think is too bad for someone who is 68, but I am hoping to get up to the low to mid 20's when my new bike is built when I will definitley be attempting to honk a little.

BB

subaqua

What’s the point
I found myself cycling in the same vicinity as a guy in the Tour of Cambridgehire this year who didn't have a saddle on his bike at all! :eek:

Apparently, he used to suffer badly from saddle sores and so tried standing up in the peddles a lot more. After finding that he found this better he decided to take the saddle off his bike entirely as it was just additional weight and also it would probably put any thief off stealing it.

As well as standing in the pedals for the whole 80 miles he generally had his hands in the drops. Quite an intense position.

I'm assuming that he must have averaged about 20mph for the 80 mile course. I think my thighs would have exploded after about 5 miles. :laugh:

Graham

some farker stole the saddle n seatpost from my commuter ( WHY ? - it was a cheap n nasty one ) so i had to commute home 21 miles. Legs felt great the next day

Why not fit a longer stem?
Now why hadn't I thought of that.

BB

Top Bottom