Hadn't realised effectiveness of standing up pedaling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
[QUOTE 4903435, member: 9609"]do you live somewhere very flat ?
I couldn't imagine not getting out of the saddle at some point on a big climb, it is a must when it gets seriously steep, and even on moderate slopes providng you change up a gear first (example 3rd to 4th) you can sort of give your normal muscles a bit of a rest. I would imagine standing up is when I could deliver my max power.

is standing up sometimes known as honking ?[/QUOTE]
No, it's very hilly where I live, with grades anywhere up to 20%, and on my work to home commute, the hills get longer and steeper the closer I get to home.
Home to work is about 26km with 320m climbing, and work to home is about 31km with 450m climbing.
I'm just used to pedaling sitting down, even on major hill climbs.

I have no idea about your last question, though: I'd never heard the term 'honking'.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
You created the thread because thanks to cycling more, you can now go up stairs better?
I won't be making any further replies to you, since you're obviously determined to argue. Have the last word if you want. Or better still: find another thread to ruin. I've added you to my Ignore list, because I've had enough of your comments.

gbb

Legendary Member
I don't see why honking should be difficult to do...it's lack of practice that's all. Correct gear and the right kind of incline, one you won't need to change gear preferably...and practice. I love it personally and can either hammer up inclines or just use my body weight if say my thighs are already .tired.

pjd57

Veteran
I still like to get out the saddle for a climb.
Doesn't feel right sitting there spinning away and crawling up the hill.

davidphilips

Veteran
Carsburg option for getting fitter, sprinting if on your own or racing up to speed limit signs if out with another cyclist, just some short sprints on your normal route.

Theres a hill close to where i live (not very steep) every time i go past the speed limit sign at the bottom of the hill i go at %100 until the top tbh i never liked the hill until i started to race up it now i look forward to it.

Theres a few other bits of roads on some of my cycle routes that no mater how tired i am i still go all out on adds a bit of fun.

Top Bottom