Hadrian's cycle way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
We've been out for a drive (and a walk) along Hadrian's wall today, and I got to fancying cycling it, but when I've looked at the map for the Hadrian's cycle way it doesn't actually follow the wall.
Has anyone cycled it? Or just followed the wall?
It's very hilly at this end, but there's a bus you can take a bike on.:thumbsup:

No, it doesn't follow the wall and in some places it's over a mile off it.
The wall is doable on an MTB but you will have a lot of walls and stiles to carry it over and a lot of he paths would be tricky.

If you follow it from Ravenglass you have a nice easy Coastal path all the way to Carlisle and you can use the railway to to get to the start of any section. It meanders for no good reason, other than to make up distance between Carlisle and Lanercost and on this bit you are better following the minor roads on the map. Otherwise it is a good route with plenty of alternatives, nice climb out of Greenhead and the Military road is not as bad as it looks but there are alternatives, other than dropping down to the Tyne valley. I would use the train rather than the bus, better services and if you have a railcard not much dearer. Newcastle is not too bad all the way to Wallsend but you are not allowed to take bikes on the Metro, so you have to go on to North Shields and cross the Tyne via the ferry and either ride to Sunderland or follow the Tyne back to Newcastle. I belive part of the Tyne tunnel is open for cyclists but I have never used it yet.

It is a varied and interesting route - well worth the effort.

I had fun at Allonby. I did this in March one year and there was a major weather warning for storm, gales flooding etc. ... worst storm in living memory type predictions A local BBC News crew had arrived at the pub and were waiting for the storm to arrive.

Every so often they would get calls from the newsroom asking how bad it was and had to confess that we were having a fine evening with the sun shining and no issues whatsoever. Eventually the wind did get up a little bit, but the storm never materialised

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Due to family -and time - constraints I doubt we'll do it all in one go, but I think I'll tackle it a section at a time. Might take me all year!

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I think you overestimate my abilities Cush!
I might make it as far as Carlisle to Brampton in one go, although I was thinking of bussing out to Birdoswald and coming back on the bike so it's more downhill!
I did find a nice route from Haltwhistle to Penrith when I was looking though, so might make a minor detour!

Sandra6, if you are thinking of useing the South Tyndale trail take care, due to this years floods, the first bit is closed to cyclists due to deep holes in the track bed. To get to Brampton from Carlisle I prefer to use the Wetheral viaduct, then you can ride round Talkin Tarn and get the train back from Brampton Junction

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Thanks for the heads up, I doubt we'll get that far this summer though.
I quite like to cycle from Dalston to Wetheral so makes sense to go that way and on to Brampton. I could probably make it back under my own steam if I stopped for cake at the Tarn.

Top Bottom