Hadrians Cycleway camping questions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Hello folks.

I'm off the bike at the moment due to ill health, so thought I'd start planning my summer trip to cheer myself up.

We're planning to do Hadrians cycleway, our group will be me, OH, my 10 year old son and an unconfirmed number of OH´s teenage boys (ranging from 13yrs to 18yrs).

We're planning to camp as much as possible, with a bit of wild/stealth camping if possible.

Any campsite or birdhouse recommendedactions? Also, what do folks think about not booking sites in advance? Have folks had any trouble just turning up? It will be during the main summer school hols.

snorri

Legendary Member
Thread title typo???:wacko:

Get well soon.:smile:

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
haha! I'm posting from my new kindle fire that I got to cheer myself up!

Hadrians Cycleway!

I don't know if you have found this, but there is a brilliant Website dedicated to this route and also up to date with storm and other damage / route changes

I have not done this ride but have camped in the area many times. Here are some campsites that may be useful where they have a website I have included the link:
Wellhouse Farm Nr Corbridge http://www.wellhousefarm.co.uk/
Demesne Farm Campsite & Bunkhouse Bellingham. http://www.demesnefarmcampsite.co.uk/
Greenhead near Haltwhistle there in a nice little site just up from the old Youth Hostel. Also C&CC site at Haltwhistle.
Port Carlisle nice little site on road into Bowness on Solway called Kirkland House. No showers but toilets are okay.

Hope these help

Brains

Legendary Member
Stealth camping with a group of teenage boys.??

Somehow, I don`t think so ^_^

As an Explorer Leader, I think largest number of stealth campers I have done is 22 teenagers.
I have regularly done around 10.
If they are well trained then it's possible.
But it needs right people, right place, right equipment, and the two most basic rules are;
"727" (don't put up the tent before 7pm and make sure it's down before 7am),
"P&M" (the standard 'take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but memories' )

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Thanks for the replies, chaps.

what do you think about not pre booking sites? I have a morbid fear of rriding all day and not being able to find anywhere to pitch up! When me and son were on mini tour this summer one campsite gave the impression on the phone that we were very lucky to get a space when we got there we were only the second tent on site!

I would have thought the sites I have stated you would not need to book. I never do but often I am on my own.

Should also mention, free camping with use of public toilets is allowed on the village green at Wall near Hexham.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I would have thought the sites I have stated you would not need to book. I never do but often I am on my own.

Should also mention, free camping with use of public toilets is allowed on the village green at Wall near Hexham.

Brilliant, thanks for the info!

Top Bottom