Hadrian's Wall Cycleway over 4 days...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

contadino

Veteran
I did the above with my cousin last weekend and had a great time. We extended it to 4 days because she got pregnant between us deciding to do the ride and actually doing it plus I haven't been riding much over the summer due to the nutty temperatures here in Italy.

I've posted some waffle and pics here: http://jeremy.contadini.co.uk/hadrians-wall-cycleway/ There are also gpx files on there broken into a 4 day ride in case they're any use to anyone.

It was the first time I've cycled in England for maybe 16 or 17 years and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We're already talking about maybe doing the Yorkshire Wolds NCN 66 sometime next year.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I did the above with my cousin last weekend and had a great time. We extended it to 4 days because she got pregnant between us deciding to do the ride and actually doing it plus I haven't been riding much over the summer due to the nutty temperatures here in Italy.

I've posted some waffle and pics here: http://jeremy.contadini.co.uk/hadrians-wall-cycleway/ There are also gpx files on there broken into a 4 day ride in case they're any use to anyone.

It was the first time I've cycled in England for maybe 16 or 17 years and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We're already talking about maybe doing the Yorkshire Wolds NCN 66 sometime next year.
Nice write up. :becool:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Good report on your blog - not too long.

A mate wants to do this ride over two days.

I think I could just about manage the distance, but the climbing would wipe me out.

Excellent post

There is a major problem with the Hadrians Wall Cycleway (well 2 actually)

First there is a lot to see on the way and take photos of
Secondly there is a lot of stuff to see near the route, but that involves going into the valleys and climbing back up to the route again!

OP
OP
contadino

contadino

Veteran
Good report on your blog - not too long.

A mate wants to do this ride over two days.

I think I could just about manage the distance, but the climbing would wipe me out.

I think if we'd done it at the end of June I'd have been able to do it in two. Wouldn't have been as much fun. 3 is the usual, but if the weather is bad that would be a bit of a grind.

The climbing was tough for me because my bike doesn't have a particularly low gear and I think it would be a bit easier on a proper tourer.

puffinbilly

Veteran
Excellent write up - some excellent cycling to be had through that part of the country. Corbridge seems to be a mecca for cyclists - useful junction for the Durham Dales, Hadrian's Wall or the Northumberland National Park. I regularly cycle the route from Hexham to the coast at Tynemouth and was surprised to see the amount of climbing involved on your last day - I always consider this a flattish ride for around these parts.

OP
OP
contadino

contadino

Veteran
Excellent write up - some excellent cycling to be had through that part of the country. Corbridge seems to be a mecca for cyclists - useful junction for the Durham Dales, Hadrian's Wall or the Northumberland National Park. I regularly cycle the route from Hexham to the coast at Tynemouth and was surprised to see the amount of climbing involved on your last day - I always consider this a flattish ride for around these parts.

I'm not really sure of the normal way to quote climbing. That's what came out of the GPS but I think there was roughly the same amount of descent (maybe a little more). Do folk normally quote a net figure?

puffinbilly

Veteran
No that's the right way to state the climbing involved - otherwise on my loop I would always be zero,:smile:
I told one lady who was doing a charity ride C2C in the early summer that I bumped into in Corbridge that there was no climbing left - she reminded me of it half an hour later as I passed her panting up the hill outside of Corbridge.:blush:

Lostmiles

Thanks for the write up. Liked it. Useful to me as I anticipate following in your tracks.

Top Bottom